Subject: Re: [pkcs11] RE: XMSS Support

On 2/23/23 9:39 AM, JOHNSON Darren wrote:

Adding more comments to the list to be considered when we continue to work on this proposal.

The attribute CKA_XMSS_PARAMS is defined as a DER encoding, and a sample ASN.1 structure is provided. I donât know if this was taken from anywhere, but I assume the pattern (DER encoding of parameters) was borrowed from the ECDSA algorithms. The ANS.1 structure defined doesnât make any sense as it shows an OCTET STRING that contains CK_XMSSMT_OID, which in turn is a CK_ULONG. CK_ULONG is platform dependent and not suitable for inclusion in an ANS.1 structure unless we define how it is to be presented.

I suggest we clarify this, or we follow the model we use for HSS and SPHINCS+ and use a PKCS11 types to define the parameter sets.

Unless something is blatantly wrong in what I wrote, discussions can be postponed until this proposal is picked up again.

I think that started because XMSS was based on an early draft of the HSS spec. After some back and forth we changed the HSS spec to use CK_ULONG identifiers. XMSS actually only needs one identifier because it combines a bunch of separate parameters values in one identifier (HSS carries each separately). I've addressed this in my updates which I've posted for review today.

bob

Thanks