pki-guidelines message

Subject: Re: WebSign encryption considerations

Anders,

After this message, I'm going post responses on this subject to
just the Applications Guidelines SC mailing list.  I have added
you to it, so you should be able to post to it immediately, I
imagine.  I know Steve is already a member of the AGSC, but if
John Sabo and Stephen Wilson are interested in this thread, they
should really join the AGSC.

OK, now for the discussion on the need for XML Encryption within
the context of transactions executed using a web browser:

Businesses are increasingly aware of the vulnerabilities of their
infrastructure.  The breaches disclosed in the US in 2005 alone
have been sufficient to galvanize many organizations to start
doing something about it.

One of the key elements of their risk-management strategy is to,
obviously, encrypt sensitive data content.  Given the constraints
in technology today, most companies are focused on encrypting
content with their own keys.  However, I foresee a period in the
future where increasing risk-management is going to demand more
fine-grained control over who sees sensitive information, as well
as the desire to protect the information right from the source
point (notwithstanding SSL on the wire).

I foresee a capability in HTML-forms or XMLForms that will allow
application developers to embed the required encryption keys in
the form (or more likely reference them within a publicly
accessible LDAP server so they can be pulled down as the form is
displayed on the user's screen), along with the policy guidelines
(must be 3DES-CBC-SHA-256, etc.) as declarations in the form.

As the browser processes the form, it will perform the appropriate
functions with the appropriate set(s) of encryption keys that are
now part of the form.  I envision the end-user's own encryption
key, an application key, an enterprise Security Officer key, as a
set of keys that might be embedded in the form for encrypting
content.  This allows for an authorization model that allows
user-data to be displayed to the right user (if they have their
decryption key), as well as the company to decrypt the content
using either the application's decryption key or the enterprise
SO's key.

While there will be other business and policy models, I believe
that this capability will be desired by many companies as this
technology capability begins to dawn on them.  As such, I also
believe that if we're embarking on an effort like this today,
we should not ignore XMLEncryption.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.