pki-survey message

Subject: Re: Objectives and Samples

Steve,

I like your objectives.  It's also important to be able to relate
to the experience levels of the respondents.

I'm of two minds with regard to including questions on benefits. We
need to be careful to not load the survey with too many questions.
In general, the longer the survey the smaller the participation.  That's

one principal that I always get self-conflicted over.  A question I have

is whether we see this as a one-shot survey or should we consider
more than one, with different objectives for each.

I like to find out what organizations are using PKI for and what
business problems they're trying to solve.  That also provides insight
into the benefits question.  Sometimes companies implement PKI to
solve one business problem and discover as much, or more, utility in
applying the technology to other processes.  - But I digress -

The question of responses from experienced people vs. the great
unwashed crowd is a good one.  I like both.  Experience is valuable.
Inexperienced views are revealing - we are likely to learn more
about perceived barriers from them.  The challenge is how to reach
those without experience because they are not who we usually
interact with.

I'll resist commenting about lawyers, for the moment.....

I stumbled upon a PKI survey I literally threw together in a
couple of hours last year for a security conference exhibit
booth we were running.  Our objective was to get a feel for the
federal market, gauge interest in PKI and shake loose
prospects and contacts.  I could share that with the group
if you like..

Paul