Subject: PKI Standards

I replied to your survey about obstacles to PKI.  I would like to elaborate just a little more in that since PKI is perceived as a technology pertaining to information security, standards and or best practices for deployment such as providing a secure room to house the CA (the PKI enclave) and understanding generally accepted levels of assurance and how each impacts security related to the infrastructure security as well as credential security would benefit everyone involved with PKI.

Many of us involved with PKI have had experiences that we can draw upon but it is important to be able to reference nationally/internationally accepted and documented standards that help to assure customers that best practices are being followed in the construct and that just the right amount of security is being applied (not too much and not too little).

What are the key elements of a PKI audit?  Where can we get standards based documentation that will help guide a PKI build to ensure that the final result will stand up to an (any) audit based on the desired level of assurance.

We use things like the FBCA CP and other documents as examples but this is insufficient documentation.

Regards,

Mitch

Mitchell Arnone
Managing Consultant
SchlumbergerSema
Technical Consulting Practice, Northeast Region

marnone@slb.com
www.slb.com/nws

SchlumbergerSema
Network & Infrastructure Solutions