Subject: Testing SC December Report

Regretfully, I have not made much progress owing to the holidays and the
demands of my employer.  There have been a number of developments in the
US Federal Government that are driving agencies toward PKI, namely the
development of a Personal Identification Verification (PIV) standard
that is due out toward the end of the month.

It will require agencies to issue a uniform credential (smart card) to
all employees and contractors that can be recognized and processed
electronically for the purpose of authenticating the holders to both
logical and physical assets.  In most cases, the card will be populated
with a PKI certificate.  So, it looks to me that authentication may well
be the "killer app" to spur the adoption of PKI, at least in the US
government marketplace.

Paul