Subject: PLCS Reference Data at International Semantic Web Conference 2004

All,

Just for your information.

A paper Rob Bodington and I submitted to the 3rd International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2004) has been accepted. It was submitted as part of the Industrial Track at that conference. The paper describes the PLCS use of OWL for Reference Data and the relationship between the AP239 information model and that Reference Data. The title of the paper is “Applying Semantic Web Technology to the Life Cycle Support of Complex Engineering Assets”.  The paper includes the ideas covered in a presentation for the NASA/ESA Product Data Exchange conference in April 2004 (see http://www.exff.org/docs/plcsrd_at_nasaesa_pde.pps).

Our goal in submitting the paper was to show the Semantic Web community a real industrial application of OWL today. We hope to bring real-world requirements to that community to make the use of OWL in PLCS implementations easier as we move from pilots towards operational usage. We also hope to learn about how others are using this technology to improve the approach we’re using for Reference Data development, management and accessibility.

The conference Web site is http://iswc2004.semanticweb.org/ where you won’t find much information just yet.

Cheers,

David

Phone +44 207 704 0499