Subject: Property Identifiers

Hi Folks,

Issues/questions have been raised about whether we should assign identifiers
to properties (assigned_property). Right now, the capabilities don't do
this, nor do the AP203 or PDM usage guides. However, PLCS assigns
identifiers to most other significant instances.

My view (as a systems integrator / implementor) is that assigning
identifiers will cause problems. Each property is uniquely identified by its
AND the item it is assigned to. I can think of no commercial engineering
data systems that identify properties (though, now I've said that someone is
bound to contradict me). Hence, it does not seem sensible to mandate
identifiers when there will be no source or target data that corresponds to
them in the data exchange.

Regards
--
Ian Bailey