Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Prodcut as realized

Title: Message
Has this discussion ever been resolved? It would appear not.  Current scope of Dex 8 includes the representation of a product as realized and the representation of a product as planned.  The capabilities so far developed give short shrift to product as planned.  I'm not sure we want to create 5 new capabilities.  But something has to be done for Dex 8.
-----Original Message-----
From: Blenkiron, Adrian S [mailto:adrian.blenkiron@rolls-royce.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 2:26 AM
To: 'rob.bodington@eurostep.com'
Cc: 'John.dunford@eurostep.com'; 'plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org'

Rob,

Regards your last question, I prefer the approach which allows for a distinction between "representing_product_as_planned" and "representing_product_as_realized" I'm not sure that we need the additional complexity of "product_as_individual" as this blurs the distinction between a product that can be observed/used/sold etc and a product which is planned. However there are a few areas of commonality between "representing_product_as_planned" and "representing_product_as_realized", for example the "serial number" to identify an individual product, which is perhaps why we ended up with both concepts together under the DEX8 name. Perhaps we need three DEXs here, one for product designs the second for expected individual products the third for existing individual products.

I remember JD was always very keen to make these distinctions.

Regards

PS thank goodness for spell checkers, I should have been thinking about "prodcuts" not "products" anyway!

Adrian
Landline +44 (0) 117 979 5820
Mobile +44 (0) 788 0798 370