Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Representation of scrap

Title: RE: [plcs-dex] Representation of scrap
Some comments inside.

regards,
Tim
-----Original Message-----
From: Tim King [mailto:tmk@lsc.co.uk]
Sent: 13 August 2004 07:18
To: 'Barker, Sean (UK)'; Rob Bodington; plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org

My thoughts against your objections:

a) I am not sure that this can be a concern only against this one topic.  Any distinction in reference data is subject to this caveat.  We have never had a PLCS requirement that says safety critical aspects will be modelled in a specific way;

b) does not take account of the role of Product_view_definition.  That is meant to cover life cycle aspects.  We probably need to classify the Product_view_definition as "scrapped" and put the dates there too;
[Tim Turner:] I agree, the product_view_definition has an initial_context, but also a set of additional_contexts of type View_definition_context. This is where perhaps the changes in lifecycle (state?) would be recorded. This needs to be kept in-step with the use of design/planned/realized entities in that they should not be contradictory.

c) does not take account of the proposal in my earlier e-mails.  If there is a business need, each fragment becomes a new Product_as_realized instance (although I am getting a bit hesitant as to what the Part instance is under these circumstances);

d) I totally accept this point but believe that one of the fundamental principles that Rob has long advocated (and I had come round to) is that Product_as_realized.of_product does NOT point at the Part instance that is the design.  A Product_design_to_individual instance establishes this link to a seperate Part_version & Part instance pair.  This can be dated.  I have not checked if the DEXs have gone down this route.
[Tim Turner:] Actually this is something that needs everyone's attention. The Product_as_realized is itself a version which of course is a separate instance from the Part_version from the design - but we need to be categorical about whether both point to the same instance of Part or to a different one. Yes - the Product_design_to_individual links the two versions together.

Given Shaun's statements about re-working individuals into other assemblies, isn't this a case of planning the dis-assembly of the Product (hence we can map an individual to a realization of this new design view), followed by a new assembly which uses the make_from_relationship for those assemblies re-using dis-assembled parts.  I presume that the serial numbers of those dis-assembled parts would be carried over.

Cheers,
Tim.