Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Issues with identification and classification

Hi Tim,

Two comments…

In the RDL you don’t need class of class to solve this problem, subclassing will work.

If we’re going to assume no access to the RDL server is a concern, we might as well stop now. That said, the file can still parse… URIs are after all just text strings.

Cheers,

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Turner [mailto:timturner11@bellsouth.net]
Sent: 31 January 2005 15:29
To: 'David Price'; 'Rob Bodington'; plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: 'Örjan Falk'; 'Jonas Rosén'; 'Tonning Leif'; 'Magnus Färneland'

Rob/Dave

Didn't we discuss this issue of ambiguity once before?

I can see both points & both have some (practical) observations;

In Rob's version

- using classification of classification is logically fine, but how many orders of classification are we going to allow?

- wasn't this classification of concepts one of the reasons for having an RDL in the first place?

- using classification of classification keeps the parsability with the P21/P28 file should an RDL not be available (for whatever reason)

- we assume that the classification of another class always refers to the target External_class.name (& not to External_class.id, or External_class.description).

In Dave's version

- moving the classification to the RDL also makes sense & replaces the overhead from translators in reliance upon the RDL service

- however, if for any reason the RDL service is unavailable, the file will not be parseable (as it will be inherently ambiguous) - which ought to be of practicable concern.

Regards,

Tim

NB - I presume that the '/IGNORE' on instance #6 of Rob's diagrams should be a $

NNB - Most translators' default behaviour, given an attribute value of $, is that there was no data provided(!) so all this behaviour needs to be specifically coded & as generic as possible.