Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Classification of type and individual

Sorry for stirring this up again, but I've only just got round to reading the debate.

1) I would expect the same issue to arise between all type/instance models, including Person/Person_type, Organization/Organization_type, Activity/Activity_as_realized - indeed (following Rob's comments in the capability), Activity can be both a type and a planned occurrence, which makes things even more confusing.

2) Say a product_as_individual takes classifications from the product - this is an assertion that the product_as_individual always belongs to the same class as the product it is realized from. However, were we to classify the Product as "airworthy", we would not be allowed to make the same assertion of every individual. This leads to three possibilities:

A) (Some) We apply a rule to every classification of the type Product to say whether it is also a classification of Product_as_individual;
B) (All)  We assert every classification of the type Product must also be a valid classification of Product_as_individual, and require every candidate classification which does not meet this rule to be modelled as a property;
C) (None) We assert that not classification of the type Product is a classification of Product_as_individual, and accept the duplication of some classes.

With the exception of State and Condition, we would assert the same of every other type/individual pair.

I do not think we have the ability to do A successfully, and I think that B would cause much confusion, so I would prefer C.

3) One of the reasons for classification not propagating across the type/instance link is that classifications are always done within a context, and the context for the design (the design office) is not the same as that of the individual (the operational environment). State is an exception. State is the product of a set of state variables and a state viewing matrix - here the term "state variables" is synonymous with "variables taken from the context". That is State carries round its context, or alternately, we could have a state data model which differentiates "state-definition" from "state-individual" by classification, although this might be rather confusing [If this is not true, then we have to go back to the product/product-as-individual paradigm.]

Condition can be viewed as a limited state, where only the states "true" and "false" exist, i.e. something that carries its context with it.

Therefore, it would be reasonable for State to inherit the classifications of State_definition.

For these reasons, I do think that Product/Product_as_individual and State_definition/State are not analogous, and should be treated separately.

Sean Barker
ATC Filton
0117 302 8184