Subject: Re: [plcs-dex] Representing parts Issue RBN-14

I can see the value of having both descriptions attached to
identification assigment as well as directly to a part. In the latter
case, it would be an "intrinsic" description, in the former case it
would be a contextual description: "the part known as <id> has the
following description".

However, we also have the multilingual stuff to consider, and since the
multi_linguism stuff is broken we can either work around it or wait for
that module to be revised.

Regards,
Per-Åke

Nigel Newling wrote:
> Leif,
>
> Before we set off creating an endless series of extra Capabilities,
> should we not check what has already been identified as required by
> specific DEXs. From your description of your proposed
> 'assigning_descriptor', I see a significant overlap with Capability
> (C025): assigning_observation, which was always intended to allow the
> attachment of freeform notes. Can we settle on one or the other?
>
> I am leery of allowing multiple descriptions of equal status. It has the
> potential to create trouble when using AP239 as an integration model.
> Best practice is to define one as master and make the others subordinate
> aliases, e.g. 'also known as.. '.
>
> Nigel

Per-Åke Ling         email: per-ake.ling_AT_eurostep.com   .~.
Eurostep AB          mobile: +46 709 566 490              / v \
Vasagatan 38         http://www.eurostep.com             /( _ )\
SE-111 20 Stockholm                                        ^ ^