Subject: Re: [plcs-dex] Representing parts Issue RBN-13

I disagree slightly (this also addresses another response from Thomas
Hendrix).

First of all, although the common case would be different organisations,
it is fragile to establish matching between versions and parts based on
org-id. Second, the date assignment is completely useless in this
context since a part may be established before its versions (probably a
common case).

Consider:

   part ------------------------+----> part_version
     id: 4711                   |        id:v1
     org: Cage#013              |        org: Cage#013
     date: 2005-01-05           |        date: 2005-01-07
                                +----> part_version
     id: ABC                    |        id: v2
     org: Cage#013              |        org: Cage#013
     date: 2005-02-06           |        date: 2005-03-03
                                +----> part_version
                                |        id: v3
                                |        org: Cage#013
                                |        date: 2005-04-02
                                +----> part_version
                                         id: A2
                                         org: Cage#013
                                         date: 2005-05-19
                                         id: v4
                                         org: Cage#013
                                         date: 2005-04-28

Applying some heuristics, it would appear the A2 goes with ABC and the
others (v1,v2,v3,v4) goes with 4711. However, this is founded on
reasoning from the reader, and is not very amenable to codifying in
rules. Note that all org-id match, and no dates match. But, based on
pattern matching and the progression on dates, a reasonable guess can be
produced. But, it is _only_ a guess!

In real life this is not really rare, e.g. a company (same Cage-code)
may produce parts which have several internal design ids as well as
several visible external ids (spare parts, etc).

In other areas PLCS does not trust pattern matching or heuristics (e.g.
the progression of versions, which require explicit relationships), and
it therefore seems odd to do it in this particular case. I still believe
this is an oversight.

Regards,
Per-Åke