Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Representing parts - Issue: RBN-11

Title: Representing parts - Issue: RBN-11
Hi Gordon,

are saying that version relationships (aka product_version_relationships) are not necessarily the only mechanism needed to distinguish between
versions?

I just want to acertain whether you are raising an issue against adding version relationships to this capability.

cheers,
Tim
-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon Robb
Sent: 16 August 2005 10:08
To: 'rob.bodington@eurostep.com'; Gordon Robb; Tim Turner; 'DEXS-PLCS-OASIS (E-mail)'

Rob,
Your 1st para requires a slight amendment "All I am saying is that we need to (and can) be able to represent/model the fact that a part version can be related to another part version. In other words I want to run a query on a database along the lines of I have Part XYZ at version 3, What are the other versions of part XYZ?" This then caters for the fact that common items for multiple customers are identified by a means of identifying the correct version for each customer.
e.g. 75A450123-2001 - FAIRING = AV-8B CUM 1 thru 125 ;
      75A450123-2003 - FAIRING = GR5    CUM 1 thru 23;
      75A450123-2005 - FAIRING = SAV-8B CUM 1 THRU 14
      75A450123-2007 - FAIRING = AV-8B CUM 126 thru 167
My query to the 'database would be "Find all versions of 75A450123................
The dash number in this case is the means of versioning the fairing. I cannot ever remember seeing any Version 1 or 2 or 3 on drawing sets associated with the Aero world

It should be noted that the PLCS TD in which we are supposed to be adhering to states " product identifier"

Definition

A name or alphanumeric identifier, used to designate a part or assembly, of the same configuration, and to differentiate it from all other products.

          Note

These identifiers may include a supplementary identifier used to distinguish one of several sequentially created configurations of a product from the previous configuration of the same product (i.e. revision or version)."

Gordon