Subject: FW: Task Capabilities

 Resend with table in Word file, to avoid problems with different fonts,
tab settings etc.

Sean Barker
0117 302 8184

-----Original Message-----
From: Barker, Sean (UK)
Sent: 05 November 2005 08:51
To: plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org; Carl-Johan Wilen; 'Phil Rutland'
Subject: Task Capabilities

Currently, because task is such a large capability, it was proposed to
break it down into three capabilities: Task structure, task assignment,
and task and state. For clarity of structure, I propose to add a fourth
capability, representing task (reusing the existing capability). This
will provide the core capability that the other three augment, and
provide greater clarity and consistency of where entities are populated.
The proposed distribution of descriptions to capabilities is as follows:
<see word file>

The scope of each capability will be:
Representing task: the information needed to identify a task and its
versions, the information associated with task and version (including
the applicable product(s)), and the relationships between tasks,
representing task life cycle. DEX 3 team - in the initial version, do
you want to describe?
	1) only the usage phase of the task life cycle
	2) usage phase plus status for other phases (needed to mark a
task as obsolete)
	3) information build-up over the task lifecycle I am considering
slightly extending the scope to include the bare minimum of a single
task step to contain the description text, so that people need only read
the representing_task capability - any views?
I expect that the scope will be 2 on initial release.

Task structure: how to construct a task as a series of steps. DEX 3 team
which of three levels of capability should be provided:
	1) Task is a single step, with the content being in the task
description.
	2) Task is a single step, but with notes, warnings, etc broken
out, and with a range of task step classifications and properties
(including cost properties)
	3) Task is broken down into multiple steps, with sequencing
relationships between them.
I expect the scope will be 2 on initial release.

Task and State: how task relates to state. Capability levels possible:
	1)relate to precondition state observed for product and
environment
	2)general principles of relations to state type and state
observed
	3)specific uses of state type and state observed, including
links to conditional execution of steps I expect the scope will be 1 on
initial release

Task assignments: the assigning of task-method, task_method_version or
task_element to other things:
	1) Assignment to required resources, product designs and
document definitions for both task specific and roll-up
	2) assignment of select other selected items (tbs)
	3) Use of Work output
	4) complete list of assignments
I expect the scope will be 2 on initial release.

In addition, I propose a 5th capability which describes the data
collection requirements against a task (e.g. time taken, spares fitted,
etc). The separation of documentation from execution is desirable from
an operational point of view, since organizations frequently have
different reporting requirements and procedures. Further, there may be
additional reporting tasks, such as raising reposts of shortages,
damage, or deficiencies in the support solution, which may be used
throughout the support solution. From the point of view of writing the
capabilities, it would be very much clearer to separate out describing
how to document a task and describing the way a task is recorded. I
would expect a basic capability to be in the scope of the initial
release.

Comments please (and, Trine, a capability number for
Representing_task_recording_requirements, please). DEX3 team - the
questions of scope will be discussed at the meeting on the 14th.

Sean Barker
0117 302 8184

taskcapabilitie.doc