Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Assigning identifiers with no organization

Title: Message
Option 1) seems the most sensible to me. I think that's what we did back when I worked at IBM.

Cheers,
David
-----Original Message-----
From: Barker, Sean (UK) [mailto:sean.barker@baesystems.com]
Sent: 07 November 2005 11:25
To: nigel.shaw@eurostep.com; plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org

Nigel,
    Thanks for you comment. This then next raises the next question:

      Does it happen that every organization applies its own version numbering convention (and therefore version number) when it applies an organization specific number to an item? If not, we might have the following:
    Org 1 creates part 123 version 1 and gives it version id=1
    Org 2 buys part 123, and renumbers it A123, but uses Org 1's version number
    Org 1 up issues 123 to version 2, and gives it version id=2 (Org 2 does nothing)
    Org 3 buys part 123, and calls it part X987, version id = 2

Now, when Org 2 refers to part A123 version id=1, someone looking at the data will see version id=2 where identifier owner = Org 1, and version id =1 where identifier owner = Org 3. This is clearly a mess.

Potential solutions:
1) Every organization that applies its own item id must also apply its own version id
2) Every organization that applies its own item id must also apply an organization_relationship identifying the organization that supplies the version identifier
3) Only one version identifier is allowed
4) *the version identifier for an organization is shown by an *identifier_relationship (which entity does not exist) from the primary identifier to the version id.

Opinions please.
Sean Barker
0117 302 8184