Subject: RE: ap210 issue

Tom,
	apologies for the delay in replying. There is no "official"
mapping PUBLISHED as yet, so I would not like to pre-empt one, should
one appear in the public domain, which, hopefully, one will soon. In the
short term, the PLCS capability on assigning identifiers seems a good
place to start. Essentially the way it works for a part design is:

An identifer_assignment holds the part type code, and is classified as a
"part_identification_code" (so that you know the function of the
identifier assignment).

An organization is assigned using an
organization_or_person_in_organization_assignment, with the assignment
classified as "Owner_of".

The organization is assigned an identifier corresponding to its DUNS or
CAGE code (or both) (and ISO/DIS 21849 also allows a European code) and
the identifier assignment is classified as a subtype of
organization_identification_code, depending on whether it is a DUNS or
CAGE code.

I'm not sure about the mapping for product_as_individual - do you need
this as well?

This may seem rather more complex than STEP is used to. In PLCS,
classification has replaced the use of strings for role assignments,
since the set of role assignments can then be placed under configuration
control in an external library.

The use of the entity ID strings has also been avoided, since many
parts, organizations, etc. actually carry multiple identifiers. (I saw
one US company boast that after business process re-engineering, it had
reduced the number of renumberings down to 40). I know in practice that,
for a common bought-out part, we apply the original manufacturer's
number, our catalogue number and a NATO stock number, and customers also
often require additional (client defined) numbers. By always applying
the ID through an identifier_assignment, this means systems need use
only one mechanism, rather than two, to find the identifiers. This is
also why PLCS deprecates the use of Alias.

I hope will do until the official mapping is made broadly available
(unless anyone wishes to correct me).

Sean Barker
0117 302 8184