Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Product Commissioning

Nigel,

I will admit that I asked this question from the AP233 perspective ;-)

What I was looking for was a (possible series of) relationship(s) between
the requirements specified and the item itself. I would guess that it may be
possible to accept an item even if it does not meet all of it's requirements
(via exceptions). All of this may be tied to an approval.

I agree that the activity structures will provide the audit trail of who did
what when etc. but I still expect to see some relationships between the
requirements and the item.

As a point of reference the SE view mainly considers requirements
allocations as a driver for decisions. For example a spacecraft may have a
weight requirement of =1000kg. Initial weight allocations (specified as
requirements) may give experiment A 10kg, and experiment B 30kg. After
initial design studies and a period of weight trading the second version may
allocate experiment A 12kg and experiment B 29kg, with a kg of weight being
provided from contingency planning!

A second SE view is the Validation & verification viewpoint, which would be
applied to identify that the predicted weight of the design of experiment A
was 11.9kg which is within the required tolerances. When Experiment A is
then manufactured it should again be validated (using an analysis method) to
ensure that it meets the design criteria. It was this last stage that I
thought may be similar to product commissioning. I guess it also relates to
the concept of "fit for purpose" which may be applied following maintenance
tasks.

From your message it would appear that these are all viewed as activities
and related concepts. I was hoping for something a little more concrete like
we have with the approval mechanisms for design.

Phil