Subject: date effectivity

Hi

I was wondering how to represent an end date effectivity when the start

date effectivity is not known. E.g. A feedback record is reporting  the fact that a component is removed

from an aircraft,  but I have no idea when it was installed, but I know when I took it off.

The EXPRESS forces a start effectivity

ENTITY Dated_effectivity

  SUBTYPE OF (Effectivity);

  start_bound : date_or_event;

  end_bound : OPTIONAL date_or_event;

END_ENTITY;

I can get around the problem in a feedback activity by classifying the activity_actual as a removal or installation activity.

But this does not seem the safest approach.

One suggestion is to use a dummy date 1900-01-01

Another is to raise a SEDS against the Date_effectivity to allow start_bound to be optional – that will take some time

Any thoughts?

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington