Subject: Template dependancies

Title: Template dependancies

Hi,

I completed several templates for (Variance v1.20) which call others (& therefore, rely upon them) whose mapping paths were successfully parsed last week - but now have errors in them.

This is because of changes in underlying templates from other (well meaning) editors which have either removed certain parameters or removed whole templates altogether - which were expected by those re-using them.

While fixes are a normal part of CM life, the impacts can be extensive if a template has many dependants. It would be nice to somehow know when dependancies change, and perhaps to know what templates will be affected when making changes: can Dexlib provide such a view for developers/editors?

I will need to redesign my templates if assigning_approval_person is to stay deleted - so some feedback on the status of this template would be useful.

Perhaps we should agree to "announce" such removals.

Regards,
Tim

NB - On a related issue: I think there are similar issues when reference data are removed; the capabilities which were developed using them now have significant 'holes'.

*
* Mr. Timothy J. Turner BSC(Hons) MSc, MBCS
* Executive Consultant, Systems Integration Division
* LSC Group, Lincoln House, Wellington Crescent, Fradley Park, LICHFIELD, Staffordshire WS13 8RZ, ENGLAND
* UK Switchboard: +44-1543 446800 Fax: +44-1543 446900
* Mobile (US) telephone: +1-843-4759179
* Mobile (UK) telephone: +44-7785-393225
* e-mail: tjt@lsc.co.uk <mailto:tjt@lsc.co.uk> Internet: <http://www.lsc.co.uk/>
*

DISCLAIMER: ***SECURITY LABEL: NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED***   The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. This e-mail originates from LSC Group. Registered in England & Wales No 2275471 Registered Office: Devonport Royal Dockyard, Devonport, Plymouth, PL1 4SG