Subject: SV: SV: FW: [plcs-dex] Unique constraints -> identification and versioning

Hi David,

This is one of your examples of a "class.id URI";

>> urn:iso:std:iso:ts:10303:-1017:ed-1:tech-taxonomy:Part

If I understand you correctly, you suggests to include both the URI for the RDL ("urn:iso:std:iso:ts:10303:-1017:ed-1:tech-taxonomy") as well as the class identifier ("Part") in the 'external_class.id' (the 'id' attribute in the 'external_class' entity).

I thought (see the last of my three slides) 'external_class_library.id' was going to be used for the URI of the RDL, and that the identifier within the RDL (i.e. 'external_class.id') only should contain the actual "classification" or "term" identifier, in your example "Part".

Please help me understand if I've got things wrong! If someone else has an opinion, please help David help me...

Now over to your question David. In my not so organized world (I call it FMV...) people use more than one term for the same concept (concept=class). OWL has the 'rdfs:label' element, which makes it possible to assign more than one term for each class. This is useful for me because the guys who drive helocopters and those who drive boats often have different terminology, and I can use this functionality to make them understand each other and the data they send. There is also this need to be "interoperable" within e.g. the EU Battle Groups or NATO joint operations, and then we swedes meet people that uses the word "lubricate" for what we call "smörja"...

To accompish this I'd like to use a "meaningless" identifier for the 'external_class.id' field, e.g. "rd000453" (or with versioning "rd000453v1"), and then use the 'external_class.name' field for the readable classification (i.e. one of the available 'rdfs:label's in the RDL/OWL-file).

This was what I meant by the question;

>> David: How do you suggest the label used for
>> classification should be identified in case there are multiple labels
>> for the same class/RD?

If I have both "lubricate" and "smörja" in the same class (that is a subclass of 'activity'/'task') with some unique id, I need to specify which one is used.

Clearer? Or don't you see this scenario with synonyms and multiple languages (used for the same class/concept)?

Regards,
  Mats