Subject: Re: SV: SV: SV: FW: [plcs-dex] Unique constraints -> identification and versioning

Hi Mats, I agree good discussion... see below.

Question on the FMV model - Did you look at ISO 11179 which seems to have the
same scope? For PLCS RD, as for anything else, it's very tempting to think
noboby else shares our requirements (as my good friend Larry Johnson at OMG
used to say, physicists stand on each others shoulders while software
engineers stand on each others toes). However, for RD we were trying not to
re-invent the wheel but use a widespread technology that was already
implemented on the Web so we choose the Dublin Core. I agree processes around
the development of the RD are not as well-defined as they should be.

Cheers,
David

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 08:42, mats.nilsson@fmv.se wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (See P.S. statement regarding the attachment and my approach to this
> discussion) (I've copied the section from David answer below on which I'd
> like to comment on)
>
> >  I understand the question now. From what I've seen on the Semantic Web,
> > the best practice is to use a (somewhat) human-interpretable name for the
> > identifiers of classes in an ontology (within the limitations of what you
> > can use in a URL or URI).  I agree that the use of rdfs:label is the
> > proper way to specify the "name" of the class for use in browsers and GUI
> > applications. However, I don't see any advantage in not following the
> > Semantic Web practices. I've never really understood why anyone would
> > want classes with ids like rd0049404 when they can have SerialNumber.
>
> 1. I'm not sure that the "Semantic Web best practice" is something we
> should pay to much attenention to, because imho PLCS Reference Data and
> Semantic Web ontologies are not that closely related, even though we use
> the same XML application (i.e. OWL) for the representation.

Actually, the Semantic Web folks have Taxonomy directly in their sights ...
and so I do think their approaches are quite relevant. I do also hope that
the PLCS RD is reusable by reasoning apps.

> 2. There will sooner or later be a case when homonyms appear in the same
> ontology. For now I have the two examples 'Tank' (container for liquid -or-
> combat vehicle) and 'Stone' (a unit of mesure -or- a primitive tool for
> emergency repairs). Both these examples are homoonyms likely to appear in
> the same domain (even though the 'Stone' example is a bit far-fetched...).
> In this case there still has to be a 'Stone(tool)'/'Stone(unit)' notation
> in order to separate them. A "meaninless" id string would bo more
> efficient.

Why is meaningless more efficient? The Ontology Engineer simply needs to pick
one of the possible names and use it as part of the URI. What about the poor
DEX implementor who can make no sense at all out of the classifications in an
exchange file without an application to read it and present the labels found
in the OWL ontology? I'd argue meaningful is more efficient. Same answer for
question 3 and 4.

The reason for using English is that the normative text defining AP239 and the
RD classes is in English. If it was standardized in French, I'd argue that
language should be used for the URI. Compare:

An RD039405950 is a unique number that is one of a series assigned for
identification which varies from its successor or predecessor by a fixed
discrete integer value.

and

A SerialNumber is a unique number that is one of a series assigned for
identification which varies from its successor or predecessor by a fixed
discrete integer value.

and you'll see what I mean. BTW, the definition comes from Wikipedia.

--
Mobile +44 7788 561308
UK +44 2072217307