Subject: Re: SV: SV: SV: FW: [plcs-dex] External_class_library usage

Hi Peter,

I renamed the subject so make this easier to follow. I also deleted everything
except my example and your question.

In the example from my previous email below, http://www.projecty.org and
http://www.projectx.org are the context ontologies. The context ontology is
the most specific, not the most generic.

Attached are slides from 2004 presentations of the approach to the Semantic
Web and NASA/ESA PDE conferences. The MOD extension ontology is the context
ontology in this simple example. I added the underlined/italics text today
hoping to clarify the point.

I guess I've been assuming these ideas had made it into the minds of the PLCS
RD developers and implementors ... clearly that was a bad assumption on my
part. Apologies about that.

Cheers,
David

On Friday 22 December 2006 13:07, Peter Bergström wrote:
> On the context ontology, can you give me some example of how this is
> supposed to be done, from a real world use of owl? Is the context ontology
> the most specific rdl, or the most generic (i.e. the PLCS express OWL
> schema)? Is the OWL import of all rdl's wrong approach, is that what you
> say? I may come out stupid here, but I can read your statements this way,
> or the totally opposite way... Excuse me, but I'm not a native English
> (American) speaking person... I probably need the picture book examples...

No, the OWL is structured correctly wrt imports. See the attached slides. The
issue is the use of something to specify the context within which to
understand the RD classes that are used. I think External_class_library makes
sense for that purpose.

> EXAMPLE
>
> Contractors cannot change the US DOD DODAF Ontology and there's a class
> there with URI http://www.dod.mil/dodaf/sv1/WeaponsSystem. In the current
> approach that's:
>
> External_class_library http://www.dod.mil/dodaf/sv1/ and External_class
> WeaponsSystem - but there's a problem lurking here.
>
> The statement that for Project X WeaponsSystem's a subclass of Product but
> for Project Y WeaponsSystem's a subclass of System_breakdown, but not
> Product, can't be defined in http://www.dod.mil/dodaf/sv1/ or anything it
> imports, it's specified in statements defined in the
> http://www.projectx.org and http://www.projecty.org ontologies which import
> it and PLCS. So the semantics of the use of
> http://www.dod.mil/dodaf/sv1/WeaponsSystem is unknown unless you know the
> exchange is in the context of the Project X or Project Y ontology. My point
> is that conceptually this is true for every class - even those specified in
> the standard PLCS RD because you don't know if subclasses of them have been
> defined so that the use of the superclass in the PLCS RD is not allowed.
> Specifying one instance of External_class_library that's the Project X
> ontology and using External_class.id as I've suggested solves this problem.

PLCS_context_ontology.zip