Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Repr_produact_as_realized

On the last thing, the reference parameter for view_definition_context:

Are you thinking of assigning_identification for the vdc, then, or is there any other characterization, or relational entity necessary? I understand what you are trying to achieve, just don’t follow how the reference parameter would help, unless you mean for an ID. There is no entity that may express relationships between different vdc in AP239, as far as I understand.

Peter

From: Tim Turner [mailto:tjt@lsc.co.uk]
Sent: den 11 januari 2007 16:05
To: Peter Bergström; plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Peter,

I respond below, other views welcome!

regards,

Tim

From: Peter Bergström [mailto:peter.bergstrom@eurostep.com]
Sent: 11 January 2007 07:33
To: plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [plcs-dex] Repr_produact_as_realized

I have updated the parameters and the path of template representing_producat_as_realized to harmonize with representing_part.

I also exposed the refe data libraries all over the place, so that different ecl can be used for every class (e.g. before I presumed that the life_cycle_stage and application_domain was always going to be stored in the same ecl, but that might not be the case, so now there are specific parameters for each of those).

In the process, many of the parameters have had name changes.

Tim, I would like you to do the following change in representing_part, to make the harmonization complete (see representing_product_as_realized for a comparison):

- Please take away the vdc_ prefix of parameters vdc_life_cycle_stage and vdc_domain. I think the vdc_ is more confusing that helping, and 'life_cycle_stage' and 'domain' should be enough.
[Tim Turner] ok

- Also introduce separate parameters for domain_ecl_id and life_cycle_stage_ecl_id, instead of your vdc_context_ecl_id.
[Tim Turner] Agree, this will be better since at present it is impossible to know which ref data belongs to whcih attribute.

- Finally a question: do you ever see any real use of the reference parameter ^cntxt? I can't think of what information you should assign to the vdc outside this template.
[Tim Turner] Two points, firstly the view_definition_context defined in most templates is only the initial_context. Where structures of the different products (parts, docs, realized etc) interrelate, I see that a Product may have additional contexts defined elsewhere for other purposes, hence it provides a link between the Product's definition over time (e,g the life cycle). Secondly, since we will need to keep the view_definition_context instances unique in an exchange file, I saw that we may need to access the contexts as required. For the major life-cycle aspects plcs has made explicit the relationships (design_to_realized..etc.), so this *may* be redundant in some cases, but I do not think that plcs has covered all those required (e.g. for documents).

If no one sees this need, then it can be removed in favour of explicit relationships where that it possible.

Tim

Peter

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Eurostep Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.

DISCLAIMER: ***SECURITY LABEL: NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED*** The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. This e-mail originates from LSC Group. Registered in England & Wales No 2275471 Registered Office: Devonport Royal Dockyard, Devonport, Plymouth, PL1 4SG