Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Business_specific reference data in representing_part

I rest my case here. PLCS do rely on external reference data, and implementations must take that into account.

I have edited the templates representing_product_as_realized and representing_breakdown_element so they no longer mandate the use of template assigning_business_specific_reference_data for life cycle support and application domain.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: David Price [mailto:david.price@eurostep.com]
Sent: den 23 januari 2007 14:45
To: plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org

All,

Sounds to me like the DEX development may be mixing standardization with
implementation - not a good thing.

Comments like "If we demand <RDL access>, post-processors will be slowed down
significantly, and imports will be vulnerable to internet down-periods and
such." are a typical example. Specifying that an RD class is identified as
http://www.example.com/rd/projectx/classY and is standardized in a set of OWL
ontologies says almost nothing about how a post-processor actually accesses
the RD at runtime.

I'd suggest that the TC needs to be making it clear that PLCS DEX-based
exchange *depends on RD* - full stop. The TC should also not put artificial
burdens on pre-precessors based on unsubstantiated post-processor efficiency
issues (i.e. you could actually be making things worse). It should leave it
to implementors to figure out how to efficiently access an exchange file and
the related RD. The TC can't know what technology, platform, scale or
requirements implementor/user organizations have in mind and so details about
how implementors make processors efficient are not something TC should be
enforcing at this point in time.

Cheers,
David

--