Subject: part being an assembly or detail

Tim,

I have been editing the representing_parts capability, and made a lot of changes. Most of these are (I hope) not significant for what the capability specifies, but more in line with updating it with the development of DEXlib over the years – templates and so on.

However, I did not include anything about a part being identified as an “assembly” or “detail”.

I have tried to catch up with previous discussions in this matter, and I think what I have done now boil down to the fact that if you see a part that is not a parent (through Next_assembly_usage), you treat it as “detail” until you find a Next_assembly_usage that relates to it as “relating”, and then you change your mind.

I have asked the people I have contact with, and none of them see any need to know whether a Part is an assembly or a detail until you start building structures, and then it is obvious. And even if you don’t have the constituents of a Part that is really an assembly, what good does it make to you to know that somewhere else an assembly ought to exist for this part, but I don’t have it?

Therefore, I kind of have avoided the entire discussion, and it seems to work.

I just wanted you to look at this specifically, since you (as far as I can see) is the one that have advocated the need for this categorization of parts the most.

Is this categorization really something that we must have? What happens if we just ignore it, and assume that all parst are details until we find out the contrary?

There is still an open issue regarding this, and I would like to close it, so if there is such a real need somewhere, I would like to understand that now by an example.

Peter Bergström

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Eurostep Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.