plcs message

Subject: RE: [plcs] Review of capabilities - Some comments from the Norwegian pilots

Title: Message
I am sorry I have to disagree with John,

Surely we deliberately chose the DEXs to be generic in order for the standard to be able to cope with the wide range of the businesses interested in PLCS. If we produce specific DEXs as advocated by Trine and Leif we will end up with a vast number each tailored specifically to one sector of one business area. For instance Trine said the Norwegians have already identified 30 variations of one capability. Multiply that by the number of capabilities and you will realize just how many tailored DEXs are likely to be produced and just how bespoke they will be.

What has happened to the idea of having a standard that is universal, (sorry I mean International), and can be used by every relevant business sector, implemented by specific mapping and utilizing extended reference data to cope with terms that relate only to your business.

I almost agree on one point, John's final sentence. The existing world of support information is uncoordinated, (not messy as that is a very imprecise word), - but surely that is why we starting this PLCS thing in the first place.

Les Debenham
LSC Group Ltd.
PO Box 77 Devonport House
Durley Park, Bristol BS31 2YH

Tel: +44 117 916 1464
Fax: +44 117 916 1499
Mob: +44 7739 306799
www.lsc.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: John Dunford [mailto:esukpc15@gotadsl.co.uk]
Sent: 31 March 2004 09:35
To: Trine.Hansen@dnv.com; rob.bodington@eurostep.com; plcs@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: rob.bodington@eurostep.com; nigel.shaw@eurostep.com

I too have the sense that the DEXs we are working on are  too generic, and, potentially too big.  In deciding how to move forward we need to balance
- the scope of any DEX
- the ref data options that may support it
- the permitted variants within a DEX
On top of all this it may often be necessary to add further local business level constraints at the company to company or system to system exchange level.

We also need to remember that the environment we work is is both fragmented and varied when compared with the world of CAD.

For all of the above reasons I think the right way to proceed is for the DEX work to be lead by teams with REAL business cases; for them to develop a DEX that suits their local needs (offering variants within it IF they need these) and then for subsequent changes to be made when a second similar case emerges that cannot use the existing DEX as it stands.

This is not a problem that can be solved by abstract thinking, however clever.  The existing world of support data is just too messy.

John Dunford,
Eurostep Limited,
25, Chaucer Road, BATH BA2 4QX, UK
Tel: +44 1225 789347