plcs message

Subject: Completion of AP239

Please note that we have now received the formal notification that Germany has reversed its negative vote on the PLCS DIS ballot, based on the results of the ballot resolution workshop in Seattle.

We now have a substantial amount of work to undertake to fix the necessary ballot comments before the complete package can be submitted to ISO for publication, which needs to be done by mid-November if we are to fulfil our promise to publish this year.  I have pushed ISO CS about as far as we can on the date, since their normal closing date is 15 September for publication in the same year.

Rob Bodington and Eurostep have planned the tasks required and allocated them to appropriate experts in the attached spreadsheet.  Estimates are included for Eurostep effort, which totals around 550 hours, or 630 hours with contingency.  The only available financial resources would be the outstanding DoD payment to PLCS, inc, and I am approaching the former Board to allocate the full amount of that payment to completing the standard.  This would cover around 350 hours, and would leave the remaining effort to be found within the OASIS TC.

As discussed at the TC teleconference yesterday, I am writing to all the member organisations of the TC to seek contributions either in cash or their own appropriately qualified manpower to make up this small shortfall and complete the work on the base standard.  In view of the short timescale, responses by cob October 28 would be appreciated.

Several offers were made during the meeting, and one has already been confirmed in writing.  I would therefore be grateful for your urgent attention to this matter.

Thank you.

Howard Mason

Tel: +44 1252 383129
Mob: +44 780 171 3340