plcs message

Subject: Comments from OASIS on Publishing the Task DEX as an OASISSpecification

Technical Oversight Group, CORE Team and LSC,

We have received extensive comments from OASIS on the condition of the specification we would like published.  The e-mails are attached as files.

We need to identify what needs to be changed, and how big an effort is required.

Please advise the Chair and Secretary of your recommendation on how to proceed.

Thanks

Chris Kreiler

--- Begin Message ---
Chris, Jerry, Howard,

As you probably noted, I announced to the PLCS TC that the CS
ballot for DEXs Version R5 had passed (mere clerical formality).

I have now plunged into the more significant issue of trying to understand
the state of affairs with respect to publishing the approved CS
specification.  I worked through four months of TC list archives and
a couple dozen other email messages supplied by Staff member
Kim Goolsby, and some which which copy Mary's communications.

Ug.  It raises doubts about whether the OASIS spec production
rules and TC Process rules are simple and well documented. ;-)

Please evaluate the evidence and analysis below to see whether
I have identified all the critical issues, and whether I understand
all relevant considerations from the TC's POV.   If the analysis is
about right, we can proceed with discussions to agree upon
identifiers, fixes, and changes that will be needed.  If not, I will
add your additional issues into the mix to see what impact they
have at the technical or political (rules) level.

Broadly speaking, I understand the goal to be correct installation
of files on the server (OASIS Library) for the specification
"Product Life Cycle Support DEXs Version R5" at Committee
Specification level, with an approval date of 18 November 2010
(or possibly '19 November 2010' if that date was agreed upon
earlier in conversations with Mary McRae.  The root URI for
the specification is: http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/

This installation will allow the PLCS TC to reference the latest
version of the DEXs spec correctly on the TC home page, and
to progress this specification to a higher level (as is), or plan
for making further changes.  If the TC wishes to make changes
to the CS level specification, the editing process should begin
with the same CS-level content that was approved (branded as
"Committee Draft 05  - 09 September 2010"), using a specification
identified as a Working Draft.

The process of making updates to reflect the TC's approval of the
balloted CD 05 as CS involves TC Admin creating a new cover page
with updated metadata, new "Status" content, Notices, and
similarly updating any information in linked XML namespace
documents that are reached by dereferencing the namespace URIs.

In this case, however, there are also some unresolved problems
with the resources and URIs as published, apparently dating
to the 2010-11-09 timeframe, just preceding the CS approval
ballot.  I do not know if any directories/files have been
deleted since 2010-11-09 (e.g., in an effort to clean up
problems), but as things stand, I need to fix these problems
as well as making arrangements for the CS spec update and
file uploads.

The CS ballot opened Thursday, 11 November 2010 with reference
to "Committee Draft 05  - 09 September 2010" and these URIs:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/oasis_cover.htm
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-std-rdl
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-arm-lf-express

I begin with analysis of what we have currently in view via
the spec root URI and cover page

1) plcs-std-rdl  2010-11-09 13:09

URI: http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-std-rdl

 - plcs-std-rdl is a symlink to "/dexlib/R5/PLCS_standard_OWL.html"
 - file:  5279   2010-11-10 23:31 PLCS_standard_OWL.html
 - browser fetches the file for the namespace document and displays
   the raw source

Analysis and proposed correction(s)

The string "http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-std-rdl"; is
one of the Declared XML Namespaces presented on the Committee
Draft 05 specification as balloted.  Under our rules, this
URI should resolve under DNS+HTTP to a namespace document
that documents the namespace and associated artifacts.

- When dereferenced, the resource does not resolve correctly
  because raw markup code is shown in a Web browser. The
  browser should display a fully rendered "HTML" document.

- the "PLCS Standard OWL namespace" cited in the namespace
  document is different than the XML namespace
  "http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-std-rdl"; -  but the
  namespace cited in the namespace document is:
  http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_standard_OWL/1.0/
  [at: "This document describes version 1.0 of the..." ]

- Some other information in the namespace document (probably)
  needs to be updated and/or corrected (TBD):
  date asserted: 9 September 2010
  status asserted: Committee Draft 05

- The associated document with filename "PLCS_standard_OWL.html"
  in /dexlib/R5/ appears to have a large number of validation
  errors with checked for conformity to XHTML 1.0 Strict; this
  should be fixed if possible

- The use of a symlink for URI aliasing is unexplained, and
  does not conform to OASIS best practice, which uses URI
  rewrites that transparently map to namespace document
  resources (TBD: fix this to conform to standard practice
  unless there is some unavoidable reason to use symlinks)

- I don't think we need this URI:
  http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_standard_OWL/1.0/

- Robin (as TC Admin) will take responsibility for creating the
  correct namespace document content for CS level, in collaboration
  with the editors

2) plcs-arm-lf-express 2010-11-09 12:05

URI: http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-arm-lf-express

 - plcs-arm-lf-express is symlink to "dexlib/R5/PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL.html"
 - file: 5301 2010-11-10 23:33 PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL.html
 - browser fetches file, displays raw source

Analysis and proposed correction(s)

- Comments similar to "1)" above
- Need to discuss the 5+ issues with the spec editor(s) for
  appropriate resolution. Robin will take responsibility for
  creating the namespace document content, in
  collaboration with the editors.
- I don't think we need this URI:
  http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL/1.0/

3)  /ns/   2010-11-09

URI: http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/

Analysis and proposed correction(s)

 - it's empty directory
 - I have no idea why the directory should be needed
 - remove it unless discussion suggests a need
 - use the (usual) URI rewrite aliasing mechanism, which needs
   no special /ns/ directory

4) "oasis_cover.htm" for R5 Committee Draft 05

URI: http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/oasis_cover.htm
     http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/oasis_cover.htm (symlink)
     file: 26586 2010-11-09 13:33 oasis_cover.htm

Analysis:

- I need to update the cover page metadata, etc, for CS level;
  a routine task, to be done by TC Admin
- Check the HTML source for absolute OR relative URI references:
- Examples (serial selected examples from file "oasis_cover.htm")
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/oasis_cover.htm#iso10303239
   code: <a href="#iso10303239">ISO 10303-239:2005(E)</a>
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/oasis_cover.htm#A1
   code: <a linkindex="3" href="#A1">
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/dex_index.htm
   code: <a linkindex="7" href="dex_index.htm">PLCS DEX Publication
Main Page</a>
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/data/dex/task_set/home.htm
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/oasis_cover.htm#AA
   code: <a linkindex="8" href="#AA">Acknowledgements</a>
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/dex_index.htm
   code: <a href="./dex_index.htm">DEX</a>
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/data/dex/task_set/home.htm
   code: <a href="data/dex/task_set/home.htm">
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/oasis_cover.htm#rfc2119
   code: <a linkindex="11" href="#rfc2119">
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/data/dex/task_set/sys/cover.htm
   code: <a href="./data/dex/task_set/sys/cover.htm">
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/data/dex/task_set/dvlp/release.htm
   code: <a href="data/dex/task_set/dvlp/release.htm">

   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/sys/dexlib_title.htm
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/help/dex/empty.htm
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/help/dex/welcome.htm
   ./sys/dexlib_title.htm
   ./help/dex/empty.htm
   ./help/dex/welcome.htm

- It appears that the spec uses relative URI references; check this
  assertion with the spec editors
- Final for "oasis_cover.htm" also uses a base tag (OK):
  <base href="http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/oasis_cover.htm";
/>
- Implication from the above: if we can trust the spec to use
  relative URIs throughout, we can locate the CS document tree
  with root at some place other than /R5/, which effectively
  occupies the location for /R5/cd05/ even though the expected
  directory /cd05/ is not present

5) "oasis_cover.pdf" for R5 Committee Draft 05

URI: http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/dexlib/oasis_cover.pdf
     symlink 2010-11-09 11:37 oasis_cover.pdf -> R5/dexlib/oasis_cover.pdf

Analysis:

- PDF Table of Contents links (and others) link to the HTML format
- Is that a feature (by TC request), or artifact?
- Are we OK with it, if it's an artifact? [Robin hopes "yes" but "no" would
  be a cleaner solution to match user expectations]

6) URIs and location for the CS level approved spec ?

Analysis:

- We need to address the matter of specification URIs for the
  CS specification (identification, paths, filenames...)

- If the analysis of URI references (relative, not absolute) in
  "4)" above is correct, then I think we have a range of
  equally plausible options because the CS spec can be
  rooted most anywhere (allowing that URI aliases still work)

- The Product Life Cycle Support DEXs specification does not
  adhere to naming principles that have been required for
  several years; the earlier/established practices for
  identification presumably have been accommodated in order
  to maintain continuity
  http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html
  earlier:
  http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/resourceNaming.html

- The /dexlib/* directory structure likewise appears relatively fixed,
  that is, hard-coded into the spec production machinery,
  as was pointed out when Mary moved a directory:

  "In any event, you cannot re-label directory structures of
  the package to a random string, as Mary has done with
  '/refdata/committee-specification' to '/refdata/R5'. This breaks
  a number of links.  The links are intimately related to the
  dexlib directory structure and the current stage, which are used
  in the packaging process.

- So we could continue with the R1, R2, R3... naming pattern
  and identify the approved CS01 version as /R6/, or we could take
  this occasion to migrate the identifiers in the direction of
  naming that is recognized by the OASIS community, and now
  required: e.g., use of a path element that corresponds to the
  CS maturity stage.  I need to understand whether the identifer
  portion "R5" [next = R6 ?] is critical for some user communities, or
  whether we could switch to the expected OASIS naming system.
  Similarly, could we migrate from a spec filename
  "oasis_cover.htm" to "dexlib-v1.0-cs01.html" [would need to
  check for references]

=============== /end analysis 2011-01-16

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Kreiler, Christopher G
<Christopher.Kreiler@mantech.com> wrote:
> Thanks Robin for your prompt response to the PLCS TC request.
>
> Have a great day!
>
> Chris Kreiler

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html
Tel: +1 972-296-1783
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Chris (all),

Here's a (perhaps painful) followup to my previous message on
the dexlib CS-level artifacts, concerning two topics. The
first (I) is almost trivial, but the second (II) is potentially
serious if the TC is considering standardization of the dexlib
specification based (directly) upon the approved Committee
Specification. I thought you should know, in case it's escaped
notice so far.

I. namespace name URIs don't resolve correctly (sometimes)

With respect to the two HTTP scheme namespaces cited in the
dexlib specification, I said:

  - When dereferenced, the resource does not resolve correctly
    because raw markup code is shown in a Web browser. The
    browser should display a fully rendered "HTML" document

That is, relative to the specification cover page and its
reference to these two "Declared XML Namespace(s):"

http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-std-rdl
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-arm-lf-express

These two NS URIs do not resolve correctly when dereferenced
in Firefox or Chrome (at least, on Windows); **but** they may
resolve in some versions of MSIE.  We can fix this resolution
problem by using simple URI rewrites at the server level
rather than using symlinks at the file system level, and
no content changes will be involved.

II. the namespace documents and the other two XML namepaces

Beyond the resolution issue in "I" above: I now recall comments
from Joshua Lubell and Ann Meads in October (prior to the
CS ballot) which seemed to cast further doubt about the legitimacy
of the two alternate namespace names (URI references) cited in
the official namespace documents.

The two namespace documents have these filenames:

PLCS_standard_OWL.html
PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL.html

They identify two additional namespace names, for what is
called:

a) "the PLCS Standard OWL namespace"
    = http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_standard_OWL/1.0/

b) "the PLCS EXPRESS OWL namespace"
    = http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL/1.0/

The trouble (as far as know) is that these two URIs said to
identify "the PLCS Standard OWL namespace" and "the PLCS
EXPRESS OWL namespace" are apparently used **nowhere
in the specification**, and do nothing. At the same time,
these two URIs are the key subject of the two namespace
documents, being cited six times in the two namespace documents.

The two namespace documents should be documenting the
official namespace names presented elsewhere in the
specification, and in particular, those presented on the
specification cover page, sub "Declared XML Namespace(s).

Thus, the two namespace documents identify and reference:

 - http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_standard_OWL/1.0/
 - http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL/1.0/

instead of the official namespaces:

 - http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-std-rdl
 - http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-arm-lf-express

Hmmmmmmm....  Since the two namespace documents (files) are
structurally embedded in the specification tree under
"http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/*"; I don't
think I would be allowed to edit them: they are official
files in the package approved as CS.

Details:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/PLCS_standard_OWL.html
which is the target of the official namespace name
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-std-rdl
says:

a) "This document describes version 1.0 of the PLCS Standard OWL
    namespace."
URI given for the display text "PLCS Standard OWL" [namespace]:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_standard_OWL/1.0/

b) "Normative Reference: PLCS Standard OWL"
URI given is:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_standard_OWL/1.0/

c) "Related Namespaces
    PLCS EXPRESS OWL"
URI given is: http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL/1.0/

http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/dexlib/R5/PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL.html
which is the target of the official namespace name
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/plcs-arm-lf-express
says

a) "This document describes version 1.0 of the PLCS EXPRESS OWL
   namespace."
URI given for the display text "PLCS EXPRESS OWL" [namespace]:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL/1.0/

b) "Normative Reference: PLCS EXPRESS OWL"
URI given is:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/ns/PLCS_EXPRESS_OWL/1.0/

c) "Related Namespaces
   PLCS Standard OWL"