Subject: Possible lines of cooperation with European Commission

Michael, John:

Interesting discussion on this morning’s call.

Just to clarify possible lines of cooperation with the European Commission, OASIS has identified three main approaches:

-          Working with specific research programmes and/or projects – these tend to be dominated by research and academia, funded through the various programmes under the remit of the “Digital Agenda” Directorate General. They are often long term, multi-annual projects and all-too-often “accidentally” create standards – in the sense that work output is in effect a proposal for standardisation but often remains as shelfware, with no sponsor, champion or governance model to take the work beyond the end of the project lifecycle;

-          Working with specific Commission departments who have particular needs and look to industry partners, occasionally OASIS, for help in creating a solution. This might be to satisfy internal administrative requirements or in response to pieces of actual or proposed legislation;

-          Working with pilot projects developing reference implementations of required cross-border services – It was to this that I made allusion on this morning’s call: The “PEPPOL” project, led by a consortium of private and public sector agencies (see http://www.peppol.eu/) , is looking at common eProcurement standards across the EU and have turned to OASIS to create new standards spun off the ebXML/UBL family, in order to address identified lacunae.

My suggestion was simply that we look closely at both PEPPOL (which has some eID requirements) and the parallel project “STORK” (see https://www.eid-stork.eu/), which is tasked to create a European eID Interoperability Platform – and identify whether:

-          there are parts of their scoped requirements that could be addressed by PMRM

-          they have use cases / usage scenarios that would serve to underline the value and relevance of PMRM.

I’ll be talking with many of the parties involved in these two projects in mid-December and would be happy to hear from other PMRM members.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278

Transforming our Relationships with Information Technologies

www.peterfbrown.com