Subject: FW: NSTIC Update: Future NSTIC workshops

Title: NSTIC Update: Future NSTIC workshops

For information

Peter

Sent: Friday, 12 August, 2011 08:52
To: peter@peterfbrown.com
Subject: NSTIC Update: Future NSTIC workshops

Dear NSTIC stakeholders,

We’ve had a busy summer of NSTIC activity, in large part thanks to your participation.

  • In June, we held two workshops: one in Washington, DC, focused on governance, and a second in Cambridge, MA, exploring the privacy issues associated with implementation of the NSTIC.
  • On July 22, we received more than 50 responses to the NSTIC Notice of Inquiry (NOI) which sought input from the public on governance. We are analyzing these responses with an eye on establishing the formal NSTIC steering group in partnership with the private sector by the end of 2011.

Heading into the fall, we are pleased to share some additional information on future workshops. Previously, we had contemplated hosting a third workshop focused on technologies and standards relevant to NSTIC in Silicon Valley in September. We’ve considered a number of options for the workshop – and have opted to forgo a formal NIST workshop this fall in favor of playing an active role at the upcoming Internet Identity Workshop (IIW) October 18-20 at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA.

For those of you who are not familiar with IIW, it’s a long-running event in the identity space that is unique in its ability to bring together a wide variety of identity ecosystem players – including advocates, startup firms, governments, academics and Fortune 500 companies – to work on solutions to multiple interoperating projects, standards, and networks for identity, data sharing and reputation. Given the government’s commitment to keeping the private sector in the lead on NSTIC, and IIW’s focus on user-centric identity, we are excited about the opportunity to leverage this event for the next round of NSTIC discussions.

Of note, IIW uses a format where the agenda is created live at the event each morning. That said, attendees can propose agenda topics in advance of the event on the IIW wiki, so others can preview the list as the workshop approaches and contemplate which topics might be of greatest interest.

IIW has designated the second day of the event – October 19 – as “NSTIC Day” and our office intends to propose a handful of NSTIC-related topics for that day in advance of the event. Note that NSTIC discussions will not be limited to the 19th, and we expect NSTIC to be a topic of discussion throughout the workshop; the 19th is simply where our efforts will be focused.

More details are available at http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com. The registration site is http://iiw13.eventbrite.comand lists attendees registered so far.

NIST will hold a more formal, government-sponsored event focused on NSTIC technologies and standards with the Identity and Trust on the Internet (IDtrust) Symposium, on March 13-14, 2012 at NIST in Gaithersburg, MD.

We appreciate your continued interest in NSTIC and efforts to advance it – and look forward to working with you over the coming months!

Jeremy Grant
Senior Executive Advisor, Identity Management
NIST