Subject: RE: [pmrm] OASIS PMRM TC: Do Not Track (DNT) use case

Michael,

This is an interesting contribution to the DNT debate:

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/174956/twitter-to-honor-do-not-track.html

Cheers,

Peter

From: pmrm@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:pmrm@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Michael Willett
Sent: Tuesday, 15 May, 2012 09:35
To: pmrm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [pmrm] OASIS PMRM TC: Do Not Track (DNT) use case

I previously distributed a first-pass at a DNT use case.

I made the end-of-time assumption that ALL relevant technologies were in place; mainly:

    - all browsers allow users to set a DNT HTTP header bit

    - all web servers read and respond to the DNT HTTP header bit

       (and thus Do Not Track the user/browser)

    - legislation/regulation exists to require conformance

But, in our recent PMRM TC telecom, it was noted that this

scenario is both unrealistic and un-illuminating from a PMRM perspective.

The “solution” to this distant-future scenario is simply:

     User sets the DNT preference in the browser
    browser “browses” to web server

    web server reads the DNT bit

     responds accordingly

        as per the regulatory conformance requirements

Not very insightful.

The insight provided by PMRM would be more visible with

a series of scenarios in which some (or similar) supporting

technologies are available in some browsers/servers.

So, I want to reformulate the Use Case with several scenarios.

I am soliciting your opinion on which scenarios are pragmatic,

reasonably staged, and can benefit from PMRM analysis… before

I charge back into the details.

See the attached table of ‘staged’ scenarios; rough, very rough.

I am having trouble thinking of a natural staging of capabilities.

Perhaps “staging” is the wrong model. What evolves in DNT?

Soliciting your input!

Thanks…

Michael