Subject: RE: [provision] What exactly do we mean by provisioning?

Title: Message
Besides which, "Resource to Identity Provisioning" would produce the acronym "RIP", which I don't think is quite what we are looking for :-)

I certainly can live with "Provisioning" properly defined.  "Allocating IT resources/services to entities (vs. identities) and managing those allocations through the lifecycle" seems a reasonable enough scope (that way we catch cell phones, but leave desks and ficus plants out of it).

-Ed Truitt

-----Original Message-----
From: jbohren@opennetwork.com [mailto:jbohren@opennetwork.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 6:43 AM
Cc: provision@lists.oasis-open.org

I like the idea of using tying "Identity" to "Provisioning" to describe what we are doing, but we have to be careful. We should not give the impressiong that the focus is to manage the identity itself. Unfortunately, "Identity-Related Provisioning" is likely to cause that exact sort of confusion. The best term I can come up with is:

    Resource to Identity Provisioning

Which is descriptive but probably to long.

I think we should stick with "Provisioning" for now and tie it to a definition of what it means.

Jeff B.

 [snipped for brevity]