Subject: RE: [provision] Provisioning Modeled as an Assertion Application

I agree that you could reuse parts of SAML even using the
request/response model, but what value does that add? Assuming we want
to use the attribute to represent provisioning data, how good of a fit
is it? Looking at our use cases:

Use case 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9 - These are all creation requests. The data
could be represented as a SAML assertion, but that adds no value over
DSML V2 or other existing XML protocols that support attribute value
sets.

Use case 3, 7, 10 - These are all modify requests. Assertions are not a
good fit for this because they describe what the state is, not what
changes are needed. How do you remove an attribute using an assertion?
The DSML V2 model supports this directly. There are probably other XML
protocols that support this directly as well.

Use case 4, 11 - These are all delete operations. Assertions add no
value here.

Use case 12 through 17 are all communication use cases and are not
relevant to this discussion.

So we can, in some of our use cases, represent the data in SAML, but
why? I hate to keep harping on this, but if it only supports about half
of our request use cases, why are we still considering it?

I'm really not trying to compare it to DSML, I still don't see a value
over not reusing anything. From what I've seen at this point I don't see
that it adds enough value to be worth the effort of figuring out how to
select what parts of SAML to use and what not. Not to mention the
philosophical debates on how one should go about extending schemas.

If we are not using the envelop parts of SAML because they don't fit our
request/response model, and the assertion part only fits the create use
cases, what's left?

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc