Subject: RE: [provision] Provisioning meta-data...

Gerry,

You have raised the concern that what we are doing will not be adopted
by the industry, and made the claim that your proposed solution is more
likely to be adopted. I believe that looking at other protocols will
give insight as to extent the current approach will hinder adoption and
the extent to which your proposed solution will enhance it.

If you want to predict the acceptance of a solution, it seems reasonable
to look at similar solutions that have found acceptance. That is why I
am asking the group for example protocols to look at.

Even if you do not think this is worth doing, could you suggest some
examples for my benefit?

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: Gearard Woods [mailto:gewoods@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 11:35 AM
To: Jeff Bohren
Cc: provision@lists.oasis-open.org

That might be something that belongs in your critique of the suggested
alternative.  For me the emphasis is on functionality and not who else
is
doing it.

|         |           Jeff Bohren      |
|         |           <jbohren@opennetw|
|         |           ork.com>         |
|         |           03/12/2003 07:33 |

-------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       provision@lists.oasis-open.org
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  [provision] Provisioning meta-data...

-------------------------------------------------------|

One key issue comparing the current SPML specification to the
alternative
proposed by Gerry Woods is issue of provisioning meta-data. The current
specification use a protocol specific means to define the meta-data,
where
as the alternative proposal uses XML Schema. I think it would be helpful
look at different protocols that use each approach as a means of
evaluated
the likelihood of success or adoption of each approach.

Some protocols that use protocol specific meta-data mechanisms are:

UDDI

DSML

OMI

ebXML

What are some protocols that use XML Schema to define meta-data (other
than
WSDL and SOAP)?