Subject: 2/3/04 PSTC Committee Con-call Postponed...

Committee members,

On last weeks call the main topic of conversation was how we go about implementing the goal from line 136 in the requirements doc [1], to ..."where possible build upon the concepts and implementation of the SPML version 1.0 specification."

I think we all clearly understand the general functional requirements for 2.0 outside of the above goal.  The big question is do we keep the SPML V1.0 data model in the 2.0 specification.  Jeff Bohren presented a solution that kept the 1.0 DSML data model by adding an extensible schema "root" that allowed for its coexistence with a new "XML Schema" data model.  Gerry was concerned that the complexity of a dual data model solution would out weigh its benefits and several attendees requested more time to think about this very issue...

Before we can continue working towards a 2.0 specification we absolutely have to resolve this.  I do not believe there has been sufficient discussion on the list to move this decision forward on the con-call tomorrow AND this is our main agenda item...   Therefore, I propose we postpone tomorrows meeting and instead, each use this hour to consider this issue, prepare thought and open list discussion on questions or concerns.  If needed i wIll set a working group call for next week to provide open forum for verbal discussion and then further propose that we hold a concluding vote the following week.

I'll start the bidding (so to speak) with the thread titled "One or many data models?" that will hit the list along with this notification.  Please consider the issue, use tomorrows hour wisely and reply or question as you see fit.

Darran

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/provision/download.php/5030/draft-pstc2-requirements-04.doc