Subject: PSO IDs: GUIDs or names?

In the most recent working group call, I promised to start an email
thread to discuss PSO IDs.  We should reach a conclusion on the
semantics of IDs *before* the next face-to-face--or at least have a
clear and common understanding of the issues.  The following ought to
get things started. :-)

I believe that a PSO ID should be globally unique and immutable. Any
identifier that is not unique or can be changed is some kind of  "name".

Only a unique identifier will work well in a hash or cache.  Only an
immutable identifier will work well in a cache.  (Otherwise, you need
some way to detect renames and then you need a way to update any cached
or persistent references.  The only reliable schemes I know for
detecting renames and updating references rely on having another unique,
immutable identifier.)

I believe that an ID must be *globally* unique because a single
requestor could hold IDs from several different providers.  If these ID
values could overlap, then the requestor would have to prefix each ID
with an identifier for the provider in order to make the value unique.

I think that the provider must assign the ID value to any PSO that is
added.  (If pressed, I will agree that it's okay for a requestor to
*suggest* an ID, but I don't see how an ID can be guaranteed to be
unique in the namespace of the provider unless the provider has the
final say.)

This came up again because Jeff Bohren said that moving an object to a
new container could change its ID.  I said no, that moving an object to
a new container might change its *name* (or its pathname, or its DN),
but not its ID.  Otherwise, simply setting a new parent on an object
could invalidate (cached or persistent) references to that object.  Even
if requestors and providers have some way to "listen" for renames, there
is no guarantee that all those maintaining references to the renamed
object will be available at that time.  The only way I know for
references to reliably survive renames is to have some kind of a GUID
instead of (or in addition to) the name.

If we want to have "friendly", mutable and non-unique identifiers, then
let any PSO have a Name (in addition to its ID).  A name is better for
most display purposes.  But provider API operations should assume that
any ID is a globally unique and immutable value they can trust.
Requestors should know that any cached or persistent reference must
include the ID.

Gary