Subject: Async Conversion (was "Re: [provision] Re: Async and workflow")

Jeff Larson wrote:

> Yes, in SPML 1.0 it is just a client preference.  I brought it up
> during the SPML 2.0 discussions, which
> led it to becoming something controlled by the PSP.  I haven't been
> following the 2.0 spec that closely,
> so if this got dropped it needs to be brought up again.  The PSP must
> be allowed to convert any
> synchronous request into an asynchronous request, and the RA needs to
> be prepared to deal with it.

(I believe that this was dropped.) Could *any* type of request be
converted to async at the provider's initiative?  Or does this apply
only to specific types of requests?

If only specific types of requests can be converted to async at the
provider's initiative, then perhaps we define something like a
BatchableRequestType (e.g., a
RequestTypeConvertibleToAsynchronousByProvider) that specific request
types could extend.

If *any* request could be converted at the provider's initiative (which
seems more general), then this should become a standard part of the
protocol.  Any request should receive a synchronous response that MUST
return a ResultCode and MAY return a requestID.  If the response#result
is "pending", then the reponse must contain a requestID.  If the
response#result is "failure", then the response must contain an "error"
attribute.  If the response#result is "success", then the response must
contain whatever result is appropriate to that type of request.

gpc