Subject: next steps for the PSTC

We support the continued refinement of SPML 2.0, based on specific
use-cases that are of interest to the community. We encourage the
submission of such use-cases
and discussion within the PSTC. While we are aware that the adoption of
SPML 2.0 has not met expectations, nevertheless the SPML 2.0
specification incorporates a great deal of domain knowledge and
expertise; we would like to build on this to the greatest extent
possible. We are open to the creation of profiles or extensions or even
ultimately the creation of SPML 2.1, as long as these are supported by
use-cases of interest.

We are opposed to the creation of a new version of the standard. This is
a very large effort and  typically takes 3-4 calendar years and dozens
of person years to complete. Such a step should be justified by
reference to the technical challenges or omissions in the current
version of the standard. Again, this analysis should be driven off
use-cases as well. We are not aware of any such analysis or broader
discussions that justify why we should take such a large  and
time-consuming step.

- prateek