regrep-query message

Subject: Re: call for vote

I vote as follows:

1. NO

Reason is that we cannot remove this section until all of its functionality is
covered by filter query proposal.
Please see my message:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep-query/200110/msg00009.html

and Len's response acknowledging the limitations:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep-query/200110/msg00014.html

2. No. Same reasons as No vote on (1)

3. YES

Team, I would like to emphasize that I have tried to work out these issues in a
constructive manner. It seems that there is no
recognition that the missing functionality is necessary. The missing
functionality is essential to many use cases
and many of those use cases are supported by other registry specifications.

I will be glad to change my vote to a Yes vote if we can have a
RegistryObjectQuery
that allows queries based on dynamic metadata defines on RegistryObject (Slot,
Classification, Association, ExtrenalLink, ExternalIdentifier) as well as
filters on the static attributes of RegistryObject (id, name, description).

Note that the above condition for a Yes vote is much less than the list of
things I wanted to see improved. I have offered compromises
at every step but have regrettably not seen any reciprocity.

--
Regards,
Farrukh

Dan Chang wrote:

> Team,
>
> Please vote YES, NO, or ABSTAIN on each of the following proposals. Please
> vote by the end of 10/10. Thanks:
> (1) Remove Section 8.1.
>       Rationale: Per our agreement and work, the functionality provided by
> Section 8.1 is now fully supported by the revised Section 8.2.
> (2) Adopt the revised Section 8.2.
>       Rationale: The revised Section 8.2, as proposed by Len, is consistent
> with the draft RIM 1.1 and has no major issues left unresolved.
>       Background: On page 6, HasPathBranch is left with three alternatives,
> with the following understanding:
>           (a) PathFilter: This is completely specified given Len's new
> proposal to add ClassificationNode.getLevelNumber() in RIM.
>           (b) XpathNodeExpression and PathElementFiler: These will be
> removed unless their associated issues are resolved in time.
> (3) Move Section 8.4 to Section 8.1.
>       Rationale: Ad Hoc Query covers FilterQuery and SQLQuery and should be
> discussed before them.
>       Result: Section 8.4 will be left empty and to be fixed editorially
> later.
>
> Regards,  Dan
>
> Metadata Management Technology and Standard
> IBM DBTI for e-Business
> Notes:     Dan Chang/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
> Internet:  dtchang@us.ibm.com
> VM:          IBMUSM50(DTCHANG)
> Phone:    (408)-463-2319

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Dr. MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh Najmi
end:vcard