regrep-security message

Subject: Re: XML DSIG for authentication

Hi Krishna,

Krishna Sankar wrote:

> Suresh et al,
>
>         If I am correct, we would also be using the authentication information to
> resolve roles as well. It is not only a question of authC but also authZ. So
> assuming a secure wire might not solve the problem. Unless of course we
> should say that the APIs which would update/create/delete can be accesses
> only thru https. Then how would we prevent somebody changing somebody else's
> information ?
>
>         As you know, UDDI's solution is to do authC and then return a session
> token.
>
>         Prasad, come to think of it, I am not sure that this is a message level
> issue - for more than one reasons :
>
>                 1)      We cannot assume any particular msh, could be BEEP, ebXML, ...

Are we divorcing ebXML MS totally and expect this to run on any SOAP complaint protocol
including ebMS? Sekhar's description refers to ebXML header and its use of ds:Signature element.
So, I take we are still scoping for ebMS as the primary TRP right?

Also AFAIK BEEP is like HTTP over which we typically layer ebXML MS (SOAP) etc.

>                 2)      There is no message level API which we (as in upper layers) can talk
> to - for example to get the authentication assertion (to correlate the
> userID with the registry userId) or even to find out if the user is
> authenticated. I had raised this long time ago with the then ebXML TRP and
> the reply was that they are working on an API layer.

Yes, the APIs are in the scope for next phase. Also, Sekhar was proposing this as 2.0 item.
Hence it seemed good to influence ebMS rather than devise a scheme that ebMS may or may night
end-up aligning with. IMO the mechanism of how where dsigs get incorporated into the message
format should come from MS with ebRS defining the semantics and requirements over and above it.
I mean things like using the authentication information to
resolve roles as well etc.

Like you usually say my two yens..

>         Am I rambling or are these genuine issues ?

Both, I guess ..  :)

> cheers

Regards, Prasad