regrep-security message

Subject: RE: Error Response for signature Validation failure

Unfortunately, MSG discourages use of other errorCodes
than those defined in the spec (Sec 8.8.3.1 second para
"Use of non-ebXML values for errorCodes is NOT RECOMMENDED.
In addition, an implementation of this specification MUST NOT
use its own errorCodes if an existing errorCode as defined
in this section has the same or very similar meaning.")
This limits us to use the errorCode "SecurityFailure" that
maps to "Validation of signatures ... failed."
Farrukh, you might be seeing something that I am not,
in which case, please let me know.
As for SOAP Fault, not sure what other bindings you are
thinking about (not using SOAP at all?) I don't like
using SOAP Fault from a design point of view, rather
would like to have it in the MSG layer. I would like
to understand where you are coming from.

Cheers,
-Suresh

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@sun.com]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 11:03 AM
To: Damodaran, Suresh
Cc: 'Sekhar.Vajjhala@Sun.COM'; regrep-security@lists.oasis-open.org

We should avoid use of SOAP Fault as we may have bindings other than SOAP.

I suggest we use a RegistryError response with an errorCode =
"SignatureValidationError".

---------------Snipet from Registry.xsd schema file relevant to above
suggestion-----------------

 <element name = "RegistryError">
  <complexType>
   <simpleContent>
    <extension base = "string">
     <attribute name = "codeContext" use = "required" type = "string"/>
     <attribute name = "errorCode" use = "required" type = "string"/>
     <attribute name = "severity" use = "optional" type =
"tns:ErrorType"/>
     <attribute name = "location" type = "string"/>
    </extension>
   </simpleContent>
  </complexType>
 </element>
 <element name = "RegistryResponse">
  <complexType>
   <sequence>
    <choice minOccurs = "0">
     <element ref = "tns:AdhocQueryResponse"/>
     <element ref = "tns:GetContentResponse"/>
     <element ref = "tns:GetClassificationTreeResponse"/>
     <element ref = "tns:GetClassifiedObjectsResponse"/>
     <element ref = "tns:GetRootClassificationNodesResponse"/>
    </choice>
    <element ref = "tns:RegistryErrorList" minOccurs = "0"/>
   </sequence>
   <attribute name = "status" use = "required">
    <simpleType>
     <restriction base = "NMTOKEN">
      <enumeration value = "success"/>
      <enumeration value = "failure"/>