Subject: Re: [regrep-semantic] My review of ebXML Registry Profile for WebOntology Language (OWL)

Dear Evan,

Thank you very much for your comments; with this contribution
I believe you would not mind becoming a contributor to the
profile:-) I have inserted your name.
Enclosed I will explain how we handled them.

ewallace@cme.nist.gov wrote:
> [[[note that I will be out Feb 20, so I won't see any responses to this
>  before Tuesday]]]
>
> My comments on
> "ebXML Registry Profile for Web Ontology Language (OWL)"
> Version 1.0 draft 2
>
> Note that my review of the document focused on the aspects which
> directly related to OWL, such as: descriptions of OWL language
> constructs, OWL examples, and some aspects of the descriptions of how
> OWL semantics are supportable in an ebXML RegRep.  I am not an expert
> in ebRIM nor in db stored procedures, so I tended to skim those
> sections.
>
> I have numbered the comments in order to make them easy to reference
> in future discussions.  In general, I believe this profile is quite
> good.  Do not interpret the number of comments as an indicator that
> this is not the case.  Most comments can be easily fixed, and I
> included suggestions for that.
>

> Comment 1:
> Page 10, line 261
> Minor, editorial
>  Typo - change "it worths" to "it is worth"

Corrected.
> Comment 2:
> page 12, lines 323-324
> Significant, content
>
>  Why only OWL Lite support?  OWL Lite has not emerged as a
>  particularly popular OWL dialect.  I suggest that you add text in this
>  section explaining why you chose to support only Lite and whether the
>  profile could be easily upgraded to DL and/or Full in the future.

OWL DL support is being added; we will release the new version
as soon as it is completed.

We have avoided OWL Full for the following reason:
"It is unlikely that any reasoning software will be able to support
complete reasoning for every feature of OWL Full."
as stated in OWL Overview:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-features-20040210/#s1.3
> Comment 3:
> page 17, Listing 7
> Question
>
>  As I noted in the intro to these comments, I am not an ebRIM expert.
>  While reading section 3 the Registry overview section, I ran across
>  something in the Object Classification example that I didn't expect
>  from my reading of the RIM model in figure 1.  I expected an instance
>  of a Classification to include/identify two things: a
>  ClassificationScheme and a ClassificationNode.  The example shows two
>  things: a classificationNode (which seems to have the
>  classificationScheme name embedded) and classifiedObject.  Is
>  classifiedObject the rolename (elided in model) for the
>  RegistryObject side of the "classifications" association shown
>  between a Classification object and a RegistryObject in the RIM
>  figure?  Where is the classificationScheme element in this example?

That section on ebXML was readily available for us to use:-) from an
earlier
document that Farrukh has co-authored, namely, "ebXML Profile for Web
Services".
RIM, through Classification object indeed associates a
ClassificationNode to a RegistryObject.
The ClassificationScheme that the ClassificationNode belongs to  (if
there exists any; it can
be a node by itself) can be obtained from the registry.
> Comment 4:
> page 18, line 548
> Minor, editorial
>  Typo - change "ExternallyLinks"  to "ExternalLink" to match class in
>  ebXML RIM inheritence view.

"ExternallyLinks" is the name of the Association Type so I believe it is
correctly used
in the text.
> Comment 5:
> page 20, Example owl:Class
> Major, editorial
>
>  In RDFS, subClassOf asserts a subsumption relationship between
>  subject and object.  The example (in triple form)
>
>   City rdf:type owl:Class .
>   City rdfs:subClassOf Country .
>
>  asserts that every individual of class City is also an individual of
>  class Country.  This is not the case for what most english speakers
>  understand of cities and countries.  Suggest that if you keep the
>  subclassof part of this example that you change one or the other
>  classes in this triple.  Some alternative examples are
>
>   City rdfs:subClassOf GeoPoliticalEntity .
>
>  or
>
>   CapitolCity rdfs:subClassOf City .

Corrected.
> Comment 6:
> page 20, Example Corresponding ebRIM construct ClassificationNode
> Major, content
>
>  In this example you use the parent link in the classification model
>  to define a superclass for the class the node represents.  Later
>  though (in 4.1.4) you point out that this method doesn't support multiple
>  inheritence which is a basic feature of RDFS and OWL.  Do you mean to
>  support both mechanisms in this profile?  I think that unwise.
>  Suggest that you simplify this example to just <owl:Class rdf:ID="City">
>  eliminating the subclassing issue and the use of parent in the
>  corresponding ClassificationNode.

We are not using "parent" attribute anymore.
>  Question: Farrukh: Can we point out areas for enhancement of the
>  ebRIM in a profile document?  An extension/revision of the
>  Classification model in the RIM to support ontologies/vocabularies by
>  allowing more than one parent for a Node would be a small change, but
>  big win IMHO.

Multiple inheritance is Farrukh's domain.
> Comment 7:
> page 21, line 676
> Minor, editorial
> typo - change "a ClassificationNodes" to "a ClassificationNode"

Corrected.
> Comment 8:
> page 22, section 4.1.5
> Significant, Editorial
>
>  I am uncomfortable with the object model-style description of
>  classes, properties, and instances used in this section.  It may give
>  people the wrong impression about classes and individuals in RDFS and
>  OWL.  In RDFS/OWL, MyTravelService doesn't "inherit" the
>  paymentMethod property.  Rather:
>
>   <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="paymentMethod">
>     <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#TravelWebService"/>
>     <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#PossiblePaymentMethods"/>
>   </owl:ObjectProperty>
>
>   licenses the following inference:
>
>   If I have the rdf triple
>       MyTravelWebService TravelWebService Cash .
>
>   then an RDF tool could infer
>       MyTravelWebService rdf:type TravelWebService .
>       Cash rdf:type PossiblePaymentMethods .
>
>   and nothing more.  The above rdf/xml description for paymentMethod
>   does not require that individuals of type TravelWebService have a
>   value (aka filler) for the paymentMethod property, nor does it
>   prevent such individuals from having values for properties not
>   mentioned.  It is also the case that MyTravelWebService could also
>   be a member of other classes in addition to TravelWebService and its
>   superclasses.  So, unlike in many object languages, individuals in
>   RDF and OWL are not defined with a single, most specific, type.
>
>   I am not sure what the purpose of this text (lines 709 - 729) serves
>   in this section.  Perhaps it is to explain the nature of facts
>   (often referred to as RDF data) in an RDF/OWL KB, and how -in the
>   ebReg/Rep world- these facts belong in a Repository rather than a
>   Registry.  This text should either be removed or rewritten.  I would
>   be willing to draft some alternate text if a rewrite is the
>   preferred fix.

I will highly appreciate if you provide the text.
> Comment 9:
> page 24, Example owl:DatatypeProperty, lines 825,826
> Significant, typo?
>
>  This example currently says that the hasPrice DatatypeProperty is a
>  subPropertyOf Profile.owl.  Presumably you meant it to be a
>  subproperty of some datatype property defined in Profile.owl.  I
>  suggest you just remove the two lines in question from the example.
>  Reusing elements of OWL-s ontologies, could push your examples into
>  OWL Full.

Corrected.
> Comment 10:
> page 25, line 849
> minor, typo
>
> add missing quote by replacing
>   "MyInsuranceService" succeeds MyHotelAvailabilityService"
> with
>   "MyInsuranceService" succeeds "MyHotelAvailabilityService"

Corrected.
> Comment 11:
> page 25, section 4.3.4
> discussion of using inverseOf knowledge in lines 876 - 880
> question, OWL Profile usage issue
>
>  The example of how to make use of knowledge about inverse properties
>  described here raises a larger question.  The example implies that
>  the knowledge/fact base in a reg/rep is only partially populated
>  prior to when queries are performed.  That would be a reasonable
>  assumption in a semantic web environment, but might it be different
>  in a reg/rep environment?  An alternative way that one might use the
>  additional semantics that this profile supports would be to cause
>  inferred information to be produced and stored along with new data as
>  that new data was inserted into the reg/rep.  Thus the extra work of
>  inferring is only done at insertion/update time, instead of at query
>  time.

We have proposed this as an alternate strategy.
> Comment 12:
> page 26, section 4.3.7, lines 917-918
> medium, editorial
>
>  The description of inverseFunctional properties, excerpted here from
>  the OWL Overview document, is one of the few cases where that document
>  doesn't shed much light on the subject.  While what it says is true,
>  it is convoluted and essentially repeats what the reader could have
>  guessed from the name of the language element.
>
>  InverseFunctional properties (IFPs) are like keys.  An individual
>  filling the range role in an inverseFunctional property instance
>  identifies the individual in the domain role of that same property
>  instance.  In other words, if a semantic web tool encounters two
>  individuals with the same value for an inverseFunctional property, it
>  can be inferred that they are actually the same individual (so data
>  about these could be merged - or "smushed" in Sem Web parlance). The
>  FOAF vocabulary exploits this to identify people via their email
>  addresses by defining foaf:mbox as an inverseFunctional property.
>
>  Clearly, it is not so easy to describe this concisely and simply.  I
>  see why the OWL Overview authors punted.  I am not ready to give up yet,
>  however.

The explanation you have provided seemed fine to us. If you wish
to provide another, that is also fine.
> Comment 13:
> page 26, Example owl:InverseFunctionlProperty
> content incorrect
>
>  There are two problems with the example for
>  InverseFunctionalProperty. First "departsFrom" should have a domain
>  of type Flight.  But once it does, it is clear that it is not an
>  inverseFunctionalProperty (the second problem) as many flights depart
>  from the same airport (thus the Airport does not uniquely identify the
>  Flight).
>
>  foaf:mbox is one example of an IFP.  isBiologicalMotherOf is another
>  example.  hasAssembled could also be an example with a domain of
>  AssemblyPlant and a range of Automobile.  One can find exceptions to
>  all these examples in the real world.  But this just supports my view
>  that IFP's are somewhat unnatural, and that compound IFPs would be
>  more useful.  In any case, you need to replace your example.  Either
>  use one of mine, or think up a different one.

Corrected.
> Comment 14:
> page 26, section 4.4, line 934
> editorial, content
>
>  Instead of saying: "The aim is to make ontologies more extendable and
>  hence more reusable," I would say "This makes property definitions
>  more reusable by factoring out class specific characteristics of
>  the property into the class description".

Inserted.
> Comment 15:
> page 27, section 4.4, Example owl:Restriction on ObjectProperty
> "paymentMethod"
> editorial, format/typo
>
>  Indenting seems to have been munged in the rdf/xml of this example.
>  Line 947 should be outdented to match text in line 952 and lines 949
>  and 950 should be indented further. As you have done elsewhere and as
>  shown below:
>
> <owl:Class rdf:ID="AirReservationServices">
>   <rdfs:subClassOf>
>     <owlRestriction>
>       <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#paymentMethod"/>
>       <owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#CreditCard"/>
>     </owl:Restriction>
>   </rdfs:subClassOf>
> </owl:Class>

Corrected.
> [...]
>
>  2) But even with respect to allValuesFrom,
>
>    <owl:Class rdf:ID="AirReservationServices"/>
>
>    <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="paymentMethodCC">
>      <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#AirReservationServices"/>
>      <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#CreditCard"/>
>    </owl:ObjectProperty >
>
>   Does not have quite the same meaning as:
>
>    <owl:Class rdf:ID="AirReservationServices">
>      <rdfs:subClassOf>
>        <owlRestriction>
>          <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#paymentMethod"/>
>          <owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#CreditCard"/>
>        </owl:Restriction>
>      </rdfs:subClassOf>
>    </owl:Class>
>
>   The restriction says that all fillers for the property paymentMethod
>   for all individuals of AirReservationServices must be of type
>   CreditCard.  This is typically in the context of many other uses of
>   the paymentMethod property in other class definitions and in other
>   property definitions (such as subproperty/superproperty relations)..
>
>   In contrast, the class and property defs above merely define a class
>   and a property where: if there are any instances of the property one
>   can infer the type of the individuals in each role.  Yes, this also
>   means that all fillers for the property paymentMethodCC for all
>   individuals (including those of type AirReservationServices) must be
>   of type CreditCard.  However, since paymentMethodCC is only defined
>   with respect to these two classes it has little meaning.  It is the
>   inclusion of paymentMethod in many statements about other classes
>   and properties that gives it meaning.  Meaning that can potentially
>   be used to deduce things about AirReservationServices and how that
>   class relates (subclassOf, disjointWith, equivalentTo, etc.) to
>   other classes which have some relation to paymentTypes (on its
>   inverse).  The whole point to OWL is to give meaning to the terms it
>   describes. Thus "reusing the "paymentMethod" property" is critical
>   to an OWL ontology, and not merely something nice to have.  If the
>   "expressive power is already there", you have not shown it.
>
>   Note that even if you add <rdfs:subPropertyOf
>   rdf:resource=#paymentMethod/> to the definition of paymentMethodCC,
>   it still won't mean the same as the restriction, since there is no
>   way to say that the *all* the instances of paymentMethod for
>   AirReservationServices must be instances of paymentMethodCC.
>
>   3) Even if this were an acceptable way to handle allValuesFrom
>   restrictions (and I am not yet convinced of that) you need to define
>   mapping rules to support it.  These mapping rules would describe a
>   scheme for naming all the global properties that you will be
>   creating which didn't exist in the corresponding OWL.  And if you do
>   this, you should define each of these new properties as
>   subproperties of the property being restricted in the corresponding
>   OWL.  Doing that is essentially downgrading the OWL to RDFS, but
>   that's better than losing the property relationships altogether.

We described a more elaborate way of handling this issue.
> Comment 17:
> page 27, section 4.5.1, lines 970 and 971
> minor, content
>
>   I realize that this text comes from OWL Overview, but it is slightly
>   misleading.  Cardinality restrictions can be applied to
>   DatatypeProperties as well as ObjectProperties.  A more general
>   description covering this might say "...then any instance of the
>   class will have at least one value for the restricted property" in
>   place of "then any instance of the class will be related to at least
>   one individual by that property."

Inserted.
> Comment 18:
> page 29, section 4.6, line 1075
> minor, editorial
>
>   More then two classes may be intersected.  Change "both of the
>   classes" to "all intersecting classes".

Corrected.

Evan, once again, thank you very much for your helpful comments
and best regards,

Asuman, Yildiray, Gokce Banu

> -Evan
>
> Evan K. Wallace
> Manufacturing Systems Integration Division
> NIST

Professor Asuman Dogac             email: asuman@srdc.metu.edu.tr
WWW: http://www.srdc.metu.edu.tr/~asuman/
Director                           Phone: +90 (312) 210 5598, or
Software R&D Center                       +90 (312) 210 2076
Department of Computer Eng.        Fax: +90 (312) 210 1004
Middle East Technical University        +90 (312) 210 1259
06531 Ankara Turkey                      skype: adogac