Subject: Re: object-class and property in 11179

Regrep Team,

As promised in Friday's call, the following are the 17 properties that the
Department of Defense mandates for all information systems that support
DoD's processes. Within DoD, the properties are referred to as "class
words" and are explicitly defined in DoD 8320.1-M-1. To date, I have not
been able to identify any "property" that can't be generalized to the
following 17 (with definitions directly from DoD 8320.1-M-1).

Amount: A monetary value
Angle: The rotational measurement between two lines and/or planes diverging
from a common point.
Area: The two dimensional measurement of a surface expressed in unit
squares.
Code: The combination of one or more numbers, letters, or special
characters substituted for a specific meaning.
Coordinate: One of a set of values which identifies the location of a
point.
Date: The notation of a specific period of time.
Dimension: A one dimensional measured linear distance.
Identifier: A combination of one or more numbers, letters, or special
characters, but has no readily definable meaning.
Mass: The measure of inertia of a body.
Name: The designation of an object and/or entity expressed in a word or
phrase.
Quantity: A nonmonetary numeric value.
Rate: A quantitative expression that represents the numeric relationship
between two measureable units.
Temperature: The measure of heat in an object.
Text: An unformatted character string gereally in the form of words.
Time: A notation of a specified chronological point within a period.
Volume: A measurement of space occupied by a three dimensionalfigure.
Weight: The force with which an object is attracted toward the earth and/or
celestial body by gravitation.

Note: These are the same properties used within the UDEF.

Ron Schuldt

The 17 properties