Subject: NISO and TC46/SC4

Lisa remarked that NISO has a registry project.  I don't find anything
specifically about it at the NISO site, but here's some of what I did
find:

http://www.niso.org/tc46sc4.html

ISO/TC46/SC4 HOME PAGE

 TC 46 - Information and Documentation
SC 4 - Computer Applications
Technical Committee 46/Subcommittee 4 (TC46/SC4) is the International Organization for
Standardization (ISO) Subcommittee responsible for technical standards used to facilitate
 interoperability of information services such as libraries, information centers, indexing
and abstracting services, archives, and publishers. These technical standards include
standards for information retrieval and interlibrary loan, applications of SGML, data elements
directories, data formats, character sets, codes and user commands.

http://www.niso.org/sc4act.html#wg7  says:

SC 4/WG 7 - Data Elements
Area of work: Standardization of data elements and the type and content of messages required
for use in documentation.

Next Meeting: Week of May 10, 2000, Berlin, Germany

Completed standards: ISO 8459-1, ISO 8459-2, ISO 8459-3, ISO 8459-4

Convener: Janifer Gatenby
41 Rue Molitor
75016 Paris France
Telephone: 33-1-46-51-39-28
Internet: janifer@compuserve.com

http://www.niso.org/sc4stand.html  says in part:

Data element directories:
ISO 8459-1:1988 - Bibliographic data element directory
Part 1: Interloan applications
ISO 8459-2:1992 - Bibliographic data element directory
Part 2: Acquisitions applications
ISO 8459-3:1994 - Bibliographic data element directory
Part 3: Information retrieval applications
ISO 8459-4:1998 - Bibliographic data element directory
Part 4: Circulation applications
ISO CD 8459-5 - Bibliographic data element directory
Part 5: Data elements for the exchange of cataloguing and metadata

http://www.niso.org/sc4ma-ra.html  says in part:

TC46/SC4 Maintenance Agencies and Registration Authorities

Several ISO/TC46/SC4 standards require a Maintenance Agency (MA) or Registration
Authority (RA). An MA assists in updating the standard and will monitor implementation.
An RA is tasked to register objects defined in the standard. The organizations in these
roles are approved by the ISO Technical Management Board.

Formats and protocols:
ISO 10160:1997 - Open Systems Interconnection Interlibrary Loan Application Service
 Definition
ISO 10161-1:1997 - Open Systems Interconnection Interlibrary Loan Application Protocol
Specification Part 1: Protocol specification
ISO 10161-2:1997 - Open Systems Interconnection Interlibrary Loan Application Protocol
Specification Part 2: PICS Proforma
These standards are supported by a Maintenance Agency that also has Registration
Authority for objects defined in the standards:

ILL Application Standards Maintenance Agency
Information Analysis and Standards Division
Information Technology Service
National Library of Canada
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N4 Canada
Telephone number: +819-994-6969
Fax number: +819-994-6835

The Web site for this standard created and maintained by the MA/RA can be found at:
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/iso/ill/

which is of some interest, but I have no time to plumb it.  Looking around I find
that 10161 has been withdrawn (I think that's right) and that's there's a precis
of 8459 at

  http://www.diffuse.org/classify.html#ISO8459

which shows that this standard is the definition of the data elements and their
use, not of a data element standard per se (I would expect them to be using
11179 for that, but can't find 8459 online).

regards, Terry