Subject: Re: Regrep data integrity

Stuff from other items (presumably resolved for now....)

>| NEW ISSUE: Extensions
>| An extension is used here in the context of 'extending the meta-data'.
>| That is, a submitter might want to register an item and provide meta-data
>| that is beyond that which is specified by the OASIS specification.  A
>| possible solution is to add an EXTENSION element.  However I don't think an
>| OASIS- compliant registry would have to 'handle' the extension beyond
>| storing it so that it can be returned based on a query.  Any ideas?
>|
>| If folks think these are reasonable concepts to have in the specification I
>| will volunteer to put some language together.
>
>This was part of what I was trying to get at in "I2C and I2X proposal":
>extend as you like, but write your own DTD for it, and be able to
>return an OASIS-compliant metadata record (presumably with a link
>for obtaining the full extended metadata record).  That seems the
>simplest approach to me; think about it and see what you decide.

Am I understanding correctly that for an OASIS-compliant implementation:

It is an RA policy decision to accept metadata beyond the OASIS-compliant
metadata.
-An RA can refuse to accept additional metadata.
-An RA can accept additional metadata (perhaps through an extension element
in its own form of the DTD.)
-If an RA accepts additional metadata, it is the decision of the RA to
return the additional metadata from an I2C request.
-Only an OASIS-compliant metadata record can be returned from an I2X
request.

--lisa

Lisa J. Carnahan
Information Technology Laboratory