Subject: Re: Re XML.org implementation

At 02:51 PM 4/2/00 , Terry replied to Nagwa:
>Nagwa wrote:
>| There are two things I would like to report to the regrep TC from the last
>| XML.org meeting:
>| First, The terminology used in Registration Status List ("certified" and
>| "standardized") needs to be modified (due to legal risks).
>
>Those were the values from 11179.  In fact, the values should be
>chosen by the RA, so we shouldn't specify anything.  I'll replace
>that list with CDATA.

I agree with others that the existing registration-status-list is not very
helpful, but I'd hate to see it become entirely specific to the proprietary
uses of the Registration Authority.  There might be some very valuable
"status" states that should be defined in the OASIS specification and
presented to the public by Registration Authorities.

The existing registration-status-list is as follows:

  certified
  recorded
  standardized
  submitted-for-certification

And the existing administrative-status-list is:

  received
  rejected
  retired-by-registration-authority
  retired-by-submitting-organization
  withdrawn-by-submitting-organization

I think that the last three items in the Administrative list are really
appropriate to be used for the registered item.  Once an item is registered
and available to the public, its metadata shouldn't just be deleted when
the item itself is no longer valid.  Instead, it the metadata should label
the item as expired, or withdrawn, etc.

Most of the above labels are assigned by the Registration Authority, so in
most cases they shouldn't be used by a Submitting Organization when a
<data-element> is first submitted for registration; however they might be
used by one RA when submitting <data-element>s to a second RA.

I think a more meaningful status-list for OASIS purposes might be a
combination of the above two lists that can be used by the SO and RA as
follows:

  submitted          -- Used by SO when making submission to RA
  received           -- Used by RA for internal purposes only
  rejected           -- Used by RA for internal purposes only
  registered         -- Used by RA for public viewing when item accepted
  validated          -- Used by RA if item "uses" a DTD/Schema and is
validated to it
  retired-by-so      -- Used by RA if expiry date passes with no revision
from SO
  retired-by-ra      -- Used by RA on its own initiative
  withdrawn          -- Used by RA after explicit request from SO

It seems to me that no two of these values would ever be used
simultaneously by the same registry, i.e. validated implies registered and
registered implies not validatable or not yet validated, so they could
comprise one "oasis-status-list". I expect that the metadata for items
labeled as "retired" or "withdrawn" would actually stay in the registry for
some period of time, much after the item itself is deleted from the repository.

-- Len

Len Gallagher                             LGallagher@nist.gov
NIST                                      Work: 301-975-3251
Bldg 820  Room 562                        Home: 301-424-1928
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970 USA           Fax: 301-948-6213