Subject: RE: XML.org implementation (Packages)

Hi,

I have been spending time today reviewing whats already included in XML.org
Catalog and have spent time looking over EBXML again.

A few areas I would like to address:

I'll start with easiest first!

1.  Classifications

We had a conference call today going back to Taxonomies for XML.org.   We
had been looking at NAICS for classifying registered items but NAICS appears
more suitable for classifying the SO.

An axis for retrieving/browsing based on SO is often useful - and hence
being able to classify the SO is quite important for this.  This might be
more suitable for XML.org then in general for Reggrep - I'll leave that up
to the list to determine.
Is there any problem in having extensions for collecting information
regarding SO?

We also looked again at classifications for registered items   --- this I
will address again in a follow-on topic regarding packaging..etc..
The general conclusion at the end of the conversation was to use the
existing homegrown XML.org "application type" as another axis for
classification with the knowledge that this will need to expanded or
replaced over time.

In reviewing the reggrep list --- I came across the link to xmltree.com
again --- they use the Dewey system as one classification axis --- do we
know did they license this or are they just using it?  I thought the problem
with us using Dewey was in part because they didn't want people just copying
it on the Web?

2.  Classification & Packinging

Below is a partial list of some of the schemas on the XML Catalog today

The pattern I see across these is very famaliar

I am going to take a subset and organize them along the axis of organization
	Organization

	OASIS
			Docbook
					Docbook 3.1

					Docbook 3.0

			CALS

	CommerceOne

			CBL
					CBL 2.0

					CBL 1.0

	DataChannel
			Portal Markup Language PML
							PML 0.9   (XML DTD)

	Visa
			Visa Invoice Specification

						   Visa Invoice 1.0

Example Car Rental Invoice

Example Hotel Visa Invoice

Example Airline Invoice

Style-Sheet
									VISA
Invoice DTD version 1.0
									Visa
Invoice Implementation Guide  --- PDF
									Visa
General Implementation Guide ---  PDF

	Voice forum
		       VoiceXML
							VoiceXML .9

VoiceXML  PDF Specification

	FPML Forum
			FPML ...
							FPML Working Draft
1.0b2

Overview in PDF

FPML Samples in PDF

FPML components and DTDs in PDF

Zip file of DTDs and Samples

Bunches of DTDs and Samples
	      								HTML
of working draft -

In all cases there is really the notion of the literary work as Terry calls
it.

This is what is the classification level in my opinion for XML.org anyway
--- in a taxonomy view you are going to want to get to FPML or VoiceXML and
not overview document in PDF??.   On this level as well you would want to
store information

	Example:
		Home Page ---- for Docbook
					for VoiceXML etc..
					You might also want to store general
information about this example overview document etc..

		What does this map to in current reggrep spec?
data-dictionary-set?

		Issues here:

			1.  What is the representation  at this level ---
i.e. it does not make sense to say it is an XML-DTD for example if you look
at Docbook within Docbook or CBL there are registered items of many type
i.e. XML-DTD, SOX, etc...

			2.  What happens if you do a retirement or a
retraction at this level in the tree --- does this mean that instruction
applies to everthing below it.   I think it must or the other way to do it
is not to allow a retirement or retraction if something has siblings ---
i.e. DEDS or Data elements in a "contained" relationship

			3.   I also think these nodes in the tree for
example:  --- Docbook and Docbook 3.1 -- are really just containers or
packages i.e. they do not have contents directly they contain
data-dictionaries or data-elements and have related items.   In all these
cases it will be very important to be able to add, retract, and update
components in these containers and also to update the information on these
containers
			I also feel that when you submit a data-dictionary
that you must specify at least one "container" or data-dictionary-set that
it belongs to.

			4.  What would be the representation for Docbook 3.1
-- again this is a container that has documentation, sytle-sheets,
SGML-DTDs, and XML-DTDs.  A better example is probably the Visa example ---
the implementation guides are almost just as important as the DTDS.

If we are saying that DTDs, Implementation guides etc.. map to
data-dictionaries then we need one other level which may be the already
data-dictionary-set that contains data-dictionaries and also
data-dictionary-sets.

Thanks,
Una