Subject: SingleItemSubmission2 DTD

RegReper's,

As promised yesterday, here are "txt" and "dtd" files for a first crack at
a Submission DTD that supports Associations and Related Data.

-- Len

<!--  OASIS SingleItemSubmission2 DTD
      Version 1.0
      Len Gallagher - OASIS RegRep participant

  The purpose of SingleItemSubmission2 is to provide a simple
  format for a Submitting Organization to submit a single
  XSGML-entity to a Registration Authority for the purpose of
  registration of that entity in a Registry/Repository.

  This submission form supports Associations of the item to
  be registered with items previously registered in this or
  some other Registry.

  This submission form supports direct links to Related Data
  items under the implicit assumption that the related items
  are not XSGML-entities and thus are not registered anywhere.
  This assumption could change in subsequent revisions.

  This submission form does not provide for any submission
  purpose other than to register a newly submitted item. The
  Registration Authority is under no obligation to check for
  name conflicts with other items previously submitted by
  the same Submitting Organization. The item will receive a
  new, local, RA-specific identifier and a new, global,
  RA-specific URN.

  This form is an upward compatible extension of the form
  SingleItemSubmission1 previously proposed.  The only
  additions are definitions for the optional elements
  <data-element-association> and <related-data-reference>.
  Any document that validates to SingleItemSubmission1
  should also validate to SingleItemSubmission2.

-->

<!ELEMENT SingleItemSubmission2
    (
	submitting-organization,
        simple-contact+,
        registration-authority,
        xsgml-entity-reference,
        local-reference-name,
        data-element
    )

<!ELEMENT submitting-organization  (urn-reference)>

<!ELEMENT simple-contact
    (
        contact-name,
        contact-role*,
        contact-telephone*,
        contact-email
    )

<!ATTLIST simple-contact
	availability  (
            private
          | public
          | protected )  #IMPLIED
        role-category (
            administrative
          | technical
          | all-issues ) #IMPLIED

<!ELEMENT contact-name  (short-clear-text)>

<!ELEMENT contact-role  (comment-text)>

<!ELEMENT contact-telephone  (short-clear-text)>

<!ELEMENT contact-email  (short-clear-text)>

<!ELEMENT registration-authority  (urn-reference)>

<!ELEMENT xsgml-entity-reference  (ftp-reference)>

<!ELEMENT local-reference-name  (short-connected-name)>

<!ELEMENT data-element
    (
        representation-label,
        version?,
	definition-text,
	name-context+,
        classification*,
        data-element-association*,
        related-data-reference*
    )

<!ELEMENT representation-label      EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST representation-label
     representation-type (
          xml-dtd
	| sgml-dtd
	| xml-schema
	| xdr-schema
	| sox-schema
	| rdf-schema
	| sgml-element
	| xml-element
	| sgml-attribute
	| xml-attribute
	| sgml-enumerated-attribute-set
	| xml-enumerated-attribute-set
	| sgml-enumerated-attribute-value
	| xml-enumerated-attribute-value
	| sgml-parameter-entity
	| xml-parameter-entity
	| character-entity-set)	#REQUIRED

<!ELEMENT version (short-clear-text)>

<!ELEMENT definition-text  (human-readable-text)>

<!ELEMENT name-context (
	name-context-label,
	designation-name+)>

<!ELEMENT name-context-label EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST name-context-label
	defined-label (
            entity-supplied-name
          | fpi
          | urn       )  #REQUIRED

<!ELEMENT designation-name (uri-reference)>

<!ELEMENT classification
      (
        classification-scheme-identifier-reference,
	classification-scheme-item-value-reference
      )

<!ELEMENT classification-scheme-identifier-reference (urn-reference)>

<!ELEMENT classification-scheme-item-value-reference (uri-reference)>

<!ELEMENT urn-reference (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT url-reference (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT ftp-reference (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT uri-reference (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT short-connected-name (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT short-clear-text (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT comment-text (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT human-readable-text (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT data-element-association
    (
      data-element-association-label?,
      urn-reference
    )>
<!ATTLIST data-element-association
      association-type
               (uses | supersedes) #REQUIRED
      location
               (local | external) #IMPLIED

<!ELEMENT data-element-association-label (comment-text)>

<!ELEMENT related-data-reference
    (
      related-data-reference-label?,
      url-reference,
      urn-reference?
    )>
<!ATTLIST related-data-reference
	relationship-of-related
          (
	      reference-manual
            | user-guide
            | white-paper
            | faq
            | example
            | example-set
            | example-set-information
            | changelog
            | readme
            | email-discussion-list-information
            | tool-information
	    | schema-home-page
	    | distribution-home-page
	    | registration-information
            | other
          )  #REQUIRED

<!ELEMENT related-data-reference-label (comment-text)>

<!--    SEMANTIC RULES for <SingleItemSubmission2>

1) The <submitting-organization> is a URN that uniquely identifies a
Submitting Organization (SO).  The SO is previously known to the
Registration Authority (RA) and they each know of a unique URN for
the other.

2) The <simple-contact> identifies a person or office associated with
the SO able to speak to technical or administrative questions about
the submitted item.

3) If the <availability> attribute of a <simple-contact> is:

   Case:

   a) "private", then the RA will not reveal the <simple-contact> to
      any other organization.

   b) "protected", then the RA may reveal the <simple-contact> to
      other legitimate registration authorities.
      [Note: legitimate left purposely undefined for now]

   c) "public", then the RA may reveal the <simple-contact> to any
      user of the registry maintained by the RA.

   d) not present, then "public" is assumed.

4) If the <role-category> attribute of a <simple-contact> is:

   Case:

   a) "administrative", the the <simple-contact> is prepared to
      address administrative questions related to the submitted item.

   b) "technical", then the <simple-contact> is prepared to address
      technical questions related to the submitted item.

   c) "all-issues", then the <simple-contact> is prepared to address
      all issues related to the submitted item.

   d) not present, then "all-issues" is assumed.

3) A <contact-name> identifies the name to ask for when contacting
the <simple-contact>.

4) The <contact-role> is a comment that explains in natural language
the relationship of the <simple-contact> to the item submitted for
registration. It may explain further the <role-category> of the
contact.

5) The <contact-telephone> is a single international telephone
number, possibly with an extension, that is the best number to use
when trying to contact a person who can speak to issues involving
the submitted item.

6) The <contact-email> is a global email address that is the best
address to use when trying to contact someone who can respond to
issues involving the submitted item.

7) The <registration-authority> is a URN that uniquely identifies
the RA to which the item referenced by the <xsgml-entity-reference>
is submitted for registration.

8) The <xsgml-entity-reference> is an FTP URL that locates the item
submitted for registration. If the RA is also a repository for the
item, then the RA will download the item and store it in the
repository.

9) The <local-reference-name> is a name that can be used to reference
the submitted item in a locally scoped name space. If the submitted
item is a single data element or a single DTD, then this name will
often be equal to the name of the referenced XML element; however,
this is not required. The intent is that the RA use this name as the
basis of constructing an RA-specific URN that will uniquely identify
this item in a global context.
[NOTE: Later, when submission packages are supported, this name can
be used to reference other items in the same submission.]

10) The <representation-label> identifies the representation type of
the item submitted for registration.  If the the RA is also a
repository for that item, then the RA verifies that the item is of
the identified type.

11) The <version>, if present, is an SO-specific string for
identifying the version of the submitted item. The format of
<version> is not specified herein.

12) The <definition-text> is a natural language description of the
item submitted for registration.

13) A <name-context> defines one or more names of the item submitted
for registration.

   Case:

   a) If the <defined-label> attribute is "entity-supplied-name",
      then each <designation-name> associated with that label is an
      arbitrary <uri-reference>.

   b) If the <defined-label> attribute is "urn", then the
      <uri-reference> of each <designation-name> associated with
      that label is a URN that uniquely identifies the item submitted
      for registration.

   c) If the <defined-label> attribute is "fpi", then ???? ...
      [NOTE: What is an "fpi"?]

14) The <classification-scheme-identifier-reference> is a URN that
uniquely identifies a classification scheme registered in a Registry
maintained by the RA.

15) The <classification-scheme-item-value-reference> is a value
defined by the referenced classification scheme.

16) A <urn-reference> is a Uniform Resource Name (URN) as specified by
IETF RFC 1241.
(See http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/rfc/rfc2141.txt?number=2141)

17) An <ftp-reference> is a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Uniform
Resource Locator (URL) as specified by W3C.  The default user name is
"anonymous". (See http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5_BNF.html)

18) A <uri-reference> is a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) as
specified by ???.  (See http://???)

19) A <short-connected-name> element consists entirely of visible
characters from the implied character set. The presence of non-visible
characters is an error. The length of a <short-connected-name> element
is less than or equal to 50 characters.

20) A <short-clear-text> element consists entirely of visible
characters from the implied character set, together with optional use
of blank spaces. Other non-visible characters may be ignored by the
RA.  The length of a <short-clear-text> element is less than or equal
to 50 characters.

21) A <comment-text> element consists entirely of visible characters
from the implied character set, together with optional use of blank
spaces, tabs, and return characters. Other non-visible characters may
be ignored by the RA. The length of a <comment-text> element is less
than or equal to 500 characters.

22) A <human-readable-text> element consists entirely of visible
characters from the implied character set, together with optional use
of blank spaces, tabs, and return characters. Other non-visible
characters may be ignored by the RA. The length of a
<human-readable-text> element is less than or equal to some
RA-specified limit greater than or equal to 50,000 characters.

23) A <url-reference> is a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) as specified
by W3C. (See http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5_BNF.html)

24) A <data-element-association> identifies an item that has been
previously registered in some OASIS-conformant registry, either the
local registry to which the new item is being submitted or some
external registry.

25) If the <location> attribute of a <data-element-association> is:

   Case:

   a) "local", then the RA will check to see if the <urn-reference>
      uniquely identifies an item previously registered in this
      registry. If it does not, then the RA will reject this
      association and report that rejection back to the SO.

   b) "external", then the RA assumes that the <urn-reference> uniquely
      identifies an item previously registered in some OASIS-compliant
      registry, but the RA is under no obligation to check if this
      assumption is valid.

   c) not present, then "local" is assumed.

26) If the <association-type> attribute of a <data-element-association>
is:

   Case:

   a) "uses", then the SO is declaring that named items within the
      XSGML-entity identified by the <urn-reference> are used by
      the item submitted for registration. The RA is under no
      obligation to check whether or not this declaration is true. If
      the <location> attribute is "local", then the RA will add a new
      association of type "used-by" to the registry entry for the
      XSGML-entity identified by the <urn-reference>.
      [Note: We may want to delete the last sentence above since that
      information can be determined by other less-direct means!]

   b) "supersedes", then the SO is declaring that the submitted item
      supersedes the XSGML-entity identified by the <urn-reference>.
      The RA is under no obligation to check whether or not this
      declaration is true. If the <location> attribute is "local", then
      the RA will add a new association of type "superseded-by" to the
      registry entry for the XSGML-entity identified by the
      <urn-reference>.
      [Note: We may want to delete the last sentence above since that
      information can be determined by other less-direct means!]

27) The <data-element-association-label>, if present, is a natural
language comment that further explains the association between the item
being registered and the item identified by the <data-element-association>.

28) A <related-data-reference> identifies and locates an item that has
a declared relationship with the item being submitted for registration.
There is no expectation that the related item is itself registered in
this or any other registry/repository, although that could be the case.
The <relationship-of-related> attribute identifies the type of the
relationship, the <url-reference> gives the location of the related data
item, and the optional <urn-reference> gives a URN that could be used
to find metadata for the related item if it happens to be registered
someplace. The RA is under no obligation to ensure that the given URL
is valid or that the located item is of the declared type.

29) The <related-data-reference-label>, if present, is a natural
language comment that further explains the relationship between the
item being registered and the item identified by the
<related-data-reference>.

-->

<!--  OASIS SingleItemSubmission2 DTD
      Version 1.0
      Len Gallagher - OASIS RegRep participant

  The purpose of SingleItemSubmission2 is to provide a simple
  format for a Submitting Organization to submit a single
  XSGML-entity to a Registration Authority for the purpose of
  registration of that entity in a Registry/Repository.

  This submission form supports Associations of the item to
  be registered with items previously registered in this or
  some other Registry.

  This submission form supports direct links to Related Data
  items under the implicit assumption that the related items
  are not XSGML-entities and thus are not registered anywhere.
  This assumption could change in subsequent revisions.

  This submission form does not provide for any submission
  purpose other than to register a newly submitted item. The
  Registration Authority is under no obligation to check for
  name conflicts with other items previously submitted by
  the same Submitting Organization. The item will receive a
  new, local, RA-specific identifier and a new, global,
  RA-specific URN.

  This form is an upward compatible extension of the form
  SingleItemSubmission1 previously proposed.  The only
  additions are definitions for the optional elements
  <data-element-association> and <related-data-reference>.
  Any document that validates to SingleItemSubmission1
  should also validate to SingleItemSubmission2.

-->

<!ELEMENT SingleItemSubmission2
    (
	submitting-organization,
        simple-contact+,
        registration-authority,
        xsgml-entity-reference,
        local-reference-name,
        data-element
    )

<!ELEMENT submitting-organization  (urn-reference)>

<!ELEMENT simple-contact
    (
        contact-name,
        contact-role*,
        contact-telephone*,
        contact-email
    )

<!ATTLIST simple-contact
	availability  (
            private
          | public
          | protected )  #IMPLIED
        role-category (
            administrative
> [...]

a declared relationship with the item being submitted for registration.
There is no expectation that the related item is itself registered in
this or any other registry/repository, although that could be the case.
The <relationship-of-related> attribute identifies the type of the
relationship, the <url-reference> gives the location of the related data
item, and the optional <urn-reference> gives a URN that could be used
to find metadata for the related item if it happens to be registered
someplace. The RA is under no obligation to ensure that the given URL
is valid or that the located item is of the declared type.

29) The <related-data-reference-label>, if present, is a natural
language comment that further explains the relationship between the
item being registered and the item identified by the

Len Gallagher                             LGallagher@nist.gov
NIST                                      Work: 301-975-3251
Bldg 820  Room 562                        Home: 301-424-1928
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970 USA           Fax: 301-948-6213