Subject: Regrep revised design principles

Here is my revision of the Design Principles - revisions consisted
mostly of deleting points we agreed to delete in Paris (and the
mention of X3.285 and XML Schema at the top).  The point about
assuming the use of HTTP may need clarification; I have still to
write up a short piece on THTTP, but the point is really that
unless we agree to a single protocol we have to specify things
at a higher level, which is a bore.

regards, Terry

<head>
<title>Design Principles</title>
</head>
<h2  >
</h2>

<ol>
<li>
The Registry Technical Specification shall employ existing standards and
specifications
where possible, avoiding specifications that are not stable.
</li>
<li>
The normative part of the Registry Technical Specification shall be as
small as reasonable.
</li>
<li>
The normative part of the Registry Technical Specification shall be
complete enough
that registries and repositories conformant to it can interoperate
in an extensible and distributed network.
</li>
<li>
The normative part of the Registry Technical Specification shall be
extensible; in
particular, it shall be possible to extend the registration
information schema or DTD without inhibiting interoperability
among registries.  (This point is called out because
the registration information schema or DTD is likely to be
a normative part of this specification).
</li>
<li>
</li>
<li>